Thread: New HDS Live 9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Don't have an answer. Interesting that a different power lead made the screen function. I am going to experiment with a unit on the bench tomorrow, because this is a puzzle and I am curious if different wire configurations produce different results.
    2015 Ranger 620vs
    2015 Mercury 250 ProXS, 9.9 Bigfoot Kicker
    24P Brovo I FS

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmer99 View Post
    Don't have an answer. Interesting that a different power lead made the screen function. I am going to experiment with a unit on the bench tomorrow, because this is a puzzle and I am curious if different wire configurations produce different results.
    If you figure it out please let me know. Good thing is, it's working now.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    If you figure it out please let me know. Good thing is, it's working now.
    Check it last night. Touch screen froze again. Last thing to check.....onboard battery charger. Plugged in, touch screen doesn't work. Unplugged, prefect. I have been on this for 4 days and it is as simple as unplugging the battery charger.

The most important thing I have learned in this ordeal is I'm too old to work on this stuff anymore. Approaching 70 with a fused neck and lumbar. and old Arthur Itis always with me. Last night my entire body had shooting pains, level of 8. Finally feel asleep at 4am. Ran a 3/8ths drill bit across my right thumb nail and cut it clean through leaving it in 3 pieces. Taped the nail down to protect nail bed and continued working. Gonna take half a day to clean my blood off the boat. Next I grabbed my pencil soldering iron by the hot part. Burns on three fingers. Going broke buying band-aids. Old Sgt Hulka was right, I'm too old for this sh*t

This thread is now put to bed

I am really wondering if the solder isn’t part of your issues. I have had many boats over the years and installed many different types of electronics. I have never used solder on any of the connections. I have always used crimp on nylon connectors and heat shrink and, knock on wood, I have never had any power/ground issues on any of them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    I am really wondering if the solder isn’t part of your issues. I have had many boats over the years and installed many different types of electronics. I have never used solder on any of the connections. I have always used crimp on nylon connectors and heat shrink and, knock on wood, I have never had any power/ground issues on any of them.
    Solder is not the issue. I too have wired electronics many boats, motorcycles and autos. I too have used crimp and the nylon side by side connectors that did not fail and have also had failures on more than one occasion, especially the #M Scotchlock 801 Quicksplice blue connector. IMO they are a recipe for disaster. A soldered connection is the Gold standard and rarely fails.

The problem is the battery charger. The HDS Live9 is working perfectly when I unplug the battery charger. The reason the unit worked on my buddy's boat is his charger wasn't connected. Just spent an hour talking to an electrical engineer that spent 34 years building prototype electronics for the Navy. He said more than likely the charger was putting noise on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    Solder is not the issue. I too have wired electronics many boats, motorcycles and autos. I too have used crimp and the nylon side by side connectors that did not fail and have also had failures on more than one occasion, especially the #M Scotchlock 801 Quicksplice blue connector. IMO they are a recipe for disaster. A soldered connection is the Gold standard and rarely fails.

The problem is the battery charger. The HDS Live9 is working perfectly when I unplug the battery charger. The reason the unit worked on my buddy's boat is his charger wasn't connected. Just spent an hour talking to an electrical engineer that spent 34 years building prototype electronics for the Navy. He said more than likely the charger was putting noise on the ground.
    We may actually be long lost brothers. I have a saying that reflects my luck...or lack there of. “If it wasn’t for bad luck...I wouldn’t have any luck at all”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12