American Family Boat Insurance Reviews

Ok, I know that there is a board sponsor that does insurance. I know there are lots of options, so getting that out of the way, I am only asking about American Family. I am looking to move from Travelers, where I have never had a claim, to American Family Insurance for Home, Auto, Boat. Travelers has taken some large premium increases across the board in my area.

I'm not worried about home and auto, but has anyone on here dealt with boat claims etc. with AmFam?

It's an agreed value policy, with coverage for tournaments, equipment/gear, trailer, towing etc. I just don't find any real world reviews about their marine coverage which is either a good thing or bad.

I have searched the board extensively also, so any input is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

2. Member
    I think my buddy went through them. They seemed to be pretty quick about settling claims when he had them. Shoot I think he made like 3-4 claims last year to have his lower unit rebuilt, and other engine work from smoking a sandbar
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Banned
    American FAmily had the best rates, by far, especially for a bundle of everything.
    Years ago, the claims process was pretty straight forward and painless.
    My last dealings with them was 10 years ago on a boat claim. The short of it is I had to document everything and made a claim with the state commisioner to get them to pay anything. I dropped them like a hot potato after the partial claim check cleared.

Good Luck!

Had all my stuff with AmFam for 20+ years (6 different boats over that time). 2 boat related claims, both were 15ish years back. 1 claim was a custom Boger prop I trashed loading the boat at LOZ, painless fast drama free payment. Other claim was a good one again back 14 years ago? Totalled my truck, boat and trailer en route to tournament at Bull Shoals. I did have to haggle a bit with the adjustor on the boat payoff amount, but it went fine. Just had to produce some documentation (receipts) for some of the boat improvements I had made. In all it went fine, satisfied customer to this day (although no claims in recent history).

5. Member
    Was with them for many years and no real complaints but I only had 1 claim. The reason I switched was they would not do (I may not be using the right terms) an agreed upon value for my boat. In the event of a loss, I was only going to get what the "book" says it is worth. With the prices that boats are fetching, cost of electronics and so on, I decided I needed a carrier that would let me insure my boat for the $$ I want to insure it for. Now I can feel confident that in the event of a loss, I can replace it with a boat of same value.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

6. Member
    Have had amfam for a long time bought a boat 3 or 4 years ago, hit something floating in the bay 4th time I had the boat out. They paid in a timely matter and with bundling can't beat the rate.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)