Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Run the wires thru the head thru the steering box then slide a golf tube over the shaft to cover them..
    Very neat and clean.. Something everyone looks at and asks--- Where's the wires ? how'd you do that ? can you do mine ?

Bill that looks better.... just won't work some of the places I fish.. Places with flooded hard woods, cedar or Mexican thorn bushes down on the border. They will get between the cable and shaft also thru that coil under the steering box.. If the wind is blowing the boat around while fishing that stuff it will get torn up.. Actually most of my anal stuff is out of necessity- not just clean looks..

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Run the wires thru the head thru the steering box then slide a golf tube over the shaft to cover them..
    Very neat and clean.. Something everyone looks at and asks--- Where's the wires ? how'd you do that ? can you do mine ?
    This is the best way but I thought the Lowrance cable was too large to go through the head slot. Or was that on the Terrova?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    This is the best way but I thought the Lowrance cable was too large to go through the head slot. Or was that on the Terrova?
    My older Humming bird helix would go. I now have a Solix Mega + and theres no way.. I ordered a nose piece with the new transducer and swapped it out with the US2 that I never used. Hummingbird will tell you it can't be done (it can)...... All I have to run thru the slot now is the hydro speaker

5. Member
    I didn't like the look of zip ties and then anytime you have to change something had to cut them all off and re-ziptie. I went to the troll jacket 2 years ago and would not go back to using zip-ties.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    I didn't like the look of zip ties and then anytime you have to change something had to cut them all off and re-ziptie. I went to the troll jacket 2 years ago and would not go back to using zip-ties.

If you've ever replaced the steering, ignition, throttle or shift cables you will learn to {hate zip ties}.. I figure some of those guys were paid by the zip tie. Every cable added means more ties. Easy to do with the cap off standing over your work.. Not so easy laying on your back or standing on your head trying to cut them off.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Mitch it looks fine. Most folks don't even know that a Panduit cable tie tool even exists. You can set the correct tension and the cutoff is clean with no sharp edges. They are only $300
    Well, mine was not quite that much ! LOL But it does the job !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    A transducer utilizing coaxial cable will be of a given electrical characteristic impedance no matter the length. Any pinch changing the cables physical separation of conductors introduces a change in that impedance which often can be easily seen on RF test equipment and in cases on the display of the sonar reflections.

You don't want such distortions and loss of image details added by too tight tie straps on you expensive sonar display

9. Member
    Problem with standard zip ties is to get them tight enough, they will pinch the fine wires inside. remember, we quit dealing with coax back when temp sensors were put in cables. there is a lot of alternatives. in this area, electricians tape is ok and can be cut clean if needed. i understand in the hotter areas, possibly velcro that attaches to itself would give a clean look.
    its all opinion.
    John

10. Banned
    Mercury makes special zip ties for hose clamps on the motor, I do wonder if these would work better for securing tranducer cables. I've never had an issue but that one picture is some overkill on zip ties, the fewes you can get away with to hold cable securely the better.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I think it needs to be made clear that all the recent chatter about not using zip ties is to do with the Garmin Livescope transducer. People using zip ties on other forms of sonar wires are okay.

The wording Garmin uses can easily be turned into do not use zip ties when in fact it does not exactly say that. It says...

"Zip ties and cable clamps can over-tighten and damage or break
    the cable, or cause cable fatigue due to repeated rotation of the
    motor."
    "You should use black electrical tape to secure the cables above
    and below the rotating joint. If you secure the cables with zip
    ties, do not over-tighten the zip ties"

It says they can overtighten and cause damage but if you use them do not overtighten them. At no point does it say do not use but it does specifically say to use black electrical tape where the cable goes over the rotating shaft...my thought process is this. If there is a chance zip ties can cause damage then why take that chance on a $1000 transducer. Simply use black electrical tape any place you want to attach the cable.

For exactly what Garmin says read page 1, bottom right under Notice...

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Pano...Install_EN.pdf
    Last edited by JR19; 02-07-2021 at 01:05 AM.

12. Member
    I've used mercury type fuel line zip ties that tighten completely round at the head. nice and round all the way around. no pinching. used them for years. using them now on ghost trolling motor and active target cables.

I used the Cobra Flexroutes. Doesn’t get any neater looking.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    Been using zip ties as long as they have been made on my boats and off road vehicles and never broken or pinched a wire of any kind and I abuse my equipment,,not baby it. Especially off road and in rough water. Zip ties come in a lot of sizes and body widths. If it concerns you, buy a wider zip tie

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Ok, I keep seeing that guys are posting about not using Zip Ties to secure the addition of another Transducer on a Trolling motor. I've been using them for over 30 yrs and have not had any issues. So what's the big deal ?

I wouldn't recommend doing this with the newer MG Tour Pro. As its the only TRUE Cable Steer with GPS Anchor Mode. Adding Zip Ties as pictured will induce excessive pedal tension. Which can cause issues when using the GPS/Anchor Mode due to pedal feed back. You could re-adjust the pedal tension to attempt to remedy any issue you induced. BUT might be limited in your efforts depending on how tight/how many zip ties are binding things up.

16. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Can cut fishing line.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

17. Member
    JR19, its not just a Garmin. once transducers went to multi wire instead of coax, tape needed to be used instead of zip ties. a zip tie will crush the cable and damage the fine wires used in the cable.

18. Member
    Also, I would not but a used transducer that had zip tie dents in it. I took my old unit off, even though was careful, the wire was dented. Didn't effect performance but guys I was selling to didn't like it.

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Cobra flexroutes for me as well...

20. Member
    Think these would be ok for Livescope's double cable?
    9_e78bd12a-b1d5-44a6-a6cb-3d49a6fcd134_600x.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast