Thread: Hayward area?

Hayward area?

Wondering if anyone has any experience on Stone Lake in Washburn County. I have a house rented on the lake for this coming June. Plan on smallmouth fishing. Thought about spending some time on it if it’s worth the effort was also looking at Whitefish Lake. I’ve been to the area once before but fished other bodies of water. Was wondering if they’ll be worth my time

2. Member
    I can tell you this, don't bother with the Tigercat Flowage......was the horrible. I rented a place on it 2 years back and fish should have been biting as this was around July 4th. This was the slowest fishings trip I have ever had. Don't get me wrong, was a beautiful and quite lake, but hardly any fish.

3. Member
    Thanks for the heads up!

4. Member
    I don't remember if I've fished stone but I have fished sand lake right next to it and long lake a little south. Stone lake we caught like 200 8" fish and long we got into some good smallies last fall. I think we had a 14# limit with a 14" fish we couldn't get rid of. Couple of 3 pounders.
    Fish have fins, they swim

5. Member
    Stone is tough since the water is clear but I've got some big smallies and largemouth in there. Lots of good lakes in that area. LCO, grindstone, white fish have some nice fish in them.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking I could hit up Stone and Whitefish in one day since they’re a bit smaller and close together

7. Member
    Check out Tom Boley on Youtube. He has a ton of Hayward area videos including clear lakes and SMB fishing.
    Mark it Zero!

8. Member
    Thanks JDP. I’ve been checking out some of his videos

9. Member
    Smallies are in shallow right now on most area lakes. If you have time, I'd hit LCO, Grindstone and then Stone in that order. Round is another option but a little further drive.
    2005 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    250HP Evinrude E-Tec

"Haulin' Ass and Chasin' Bass"

10. Member
    Thanks for the info Dan. Last time we actually hit up Round, Grindstone and LCO. Fish were full blown spawn (June 2019). Last year we fished around Minocqua. We’ll be up at Stone Lake June 2-6. I assume that the majority of the fish will be post spawn with the warm temps and the full moon on May 26. Our target species is smallmouth though I’m not afraid to fish for largemouth. Any certain techniques a guy should try for post spawn smallmouth other that the usual topwater and wacky worm stuff?

11. Member
    I don't know what electronic you have but I would scout on any clear calm days for rock piles and rock reefs. Start looking on the E side which there will be the windblown side for prevailing W / SW summer winds. Using live bait can help you find the productive depths by starting outside the deep weed edge 18-20 on the clear water by wind drifting from there towards shore. I'd also dead stick a senko in a rod holder as you hold the live bait rod. to establish a depth pattern. At the end shallow of the drift I back troll out with #7 floating rap usually blue silver. and repeat. I have also become Rage Swimmer / Keitech as a go to artificial last several years. If the wind is whipping especially on brighter days they will be shallow 2-3 FOW on the rock bars eating crayfish and in the sand flats surrounding them 4-7 FOW. My general impression of Whitefish is it's a deep lake with steeper breaks than I have become accustom to on Grindstone, LCO and Big Round. Two things not to miss the fish fry at Pine Ridge be prepared to wait and Anglers Haven on LCO perhaps the best Northwoods place in the State of Wi. add Marie's Hideaway in booming downtown Stone Lake