Thread: Boca bearings?

Boca bearings?

I had a bad bearing in a Shimano Curado E and replaced the 2 spool bearings with the boca orange seals. The reel now has lost the control it used to due to the speed of the spool even with all centrifuge brakes out. I just can’t get it dialed in like my others with original bearings? Any tips? Thanks !!

2010 Ranger Z518
    2010 200 Optimax Pro XS
    BBC MS Bass Club

I also had some older Shimano reels that I put Boca’s in
    I felt same thing that I had lost control of the spool. I took the bearing out and cleaned them and applied very little lube on the bearing.
    That seemed to help with the control. I am no expert but I think the stock bearings cleaned were better

Bocas or any ABEC 7 bearing for that matter can add a lot of zip to the spool especially if it is a spool with a spool shaft that runs through the frame of the reel. The only thing you can really do is add more lubricant to the bearings and it should tame it down a little...and hopefully less noise too. I stopped running Bocas because they screeched like hell to the balls in the bearing skidding. I have since switched to ZPI which are far better.

4. Banned
    Hate Bocas. Junk. Get some HawgTechs and run a little oil in them.

I am going to try one boca and one of the original bearings that is still good and see how it performs. Thanks for the input.

2010 Ranger Z518
    2010 200 Optimax Pro XS
    BBC MS Bass Club

6. Member
    i threw all my bocas away, no good
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

7. Member
    I tried bocas abec 7 on two reels, didnt even give them to friends, just threw them away. Shimano stock bearings, flushed and relubed are very good.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    I took the bearing out and cleaned them and applied very little lube on the bearing.
    That seemed to help with the control. I am no expert but I think the stock bearings cleaned were better
    I do this every year to my Shimanos. I really like their stock bearings and after cleaning, they work beautifully. I find no need to replace with after market ones. Can't say that I get the same result after cleaning the bearings on my Daiwas.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S