Prop blowout on holeshot

I just repowered my 2005 Skeeter 200 TZX. I retired the 200 HPDI with 1,000 hours in favor of a new Mercury 200 Pro XS, 4 stroke. Holeshot was never a problem with the HPDI, nor was top-end performance. I should have asked more questions about the new prop (my fault), but it's a stock SS prop installed by the dealer. The hole shot is extremely sluggish, and the prop is apparently not "biting" like it should, causing the motor to rev up too high until it finally planes out at about 3,500 rpms.

Confessing my ignorance about prop holes and plugs, please educate me. It's a 3 blade prop, and there are no plugs in the holes. Would adding plugs likely help the holeshot, or would that make it worse? If adding plugs helps the holeshot, why not just plug them all?

I contacted the marine dealership since this initial post, and the prop is a 22" PowerTech.
    Last edited by davidb104; 01-21-2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: New information

2. Member
    What is the '' stock SS prop''?

3. Member
    I am trying to get more information about the prop. I've conceded that I should have asked more questions. There was never a reason for me to question the prop on the Yamaha. It performed so well from the outset. If you have something to share about the impact of plugs on the holeshot, it will be appreciated.

4. Member
    Usually the holes let the gasses surround the prop and aerate the area letting your prop spin at a higher RPM to get a good bite. The bite should happen around 3500 ad 3800 RPM. For a 4 stroke with lot of torque, most of the time this is not necessary. A lot of people just plug the holes. I also have a 4 stroke 200 hp V8 Pro XS and right now I'm using the medium plugs on a Tempest + propeller and I hook up around 3800 rpm.

5. Member
    Thank you.

6. Member
    How many rpm's does it turn at WOT now if it's broken in?

7. Member
    3500 to 3800 is where you want the rpm's to be at take off and since you have a 4 stroke I'd try solid plugs in all the holes if it has PVS holes to cut down on venting.

8. Member
    I would think a 22 pitch would be way to small on a 200? I would think more along the lines of a 25 or 26 Tempest plus would be what you wanted.

9. Member
    If you want to turn 6200 RPM., that's about what you need.