Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Change is coming - Mandatory kill switch use !

Saw this thread over on THT. Posted by the US Coastguard rep.

Did a search and couldnt find it reported here, apologies if its already been posted and I missed it. Thought it should come to the attention of BBC members.

From what I gather it looks like it will apply to many bassboats.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...tch-use-7.html

This is the gist of it, copied from that thread:

There was recent law passed that will require the wearing of an engine cut-off switch (ECOS). Outreach on the importance of the ECOS and this new requirement is important. Here is the text of the law, and as always, I'll keep you posted as we go along.

SEC. 8316. ENGINE CUT-OFF SWITCHES; USE REQUIREMENT.

(a) In General.--Section 4312 of title 46, United States Code, isamended--

(1) by redesignating subsections (b), (c), and (d) assubsections (c), (d), and (e), respectively; and

(2) by inserting after subsection (a) the following:

``(b) Use Requirement.--

``(1) In general.--An individual operating a coveredrecreational vessel shall use an engine cut-off switch link whileoperating on plane or above displacement speed.

``(2) Exceptions.--The requirement under paragraph (1) shallnot apply if--

``(A) the main helm of the covered vessel is installedwithin an enclosed cabin; or

``(B) the vessel does not have an engine cut-off switch andis not required to have one under subsection (a).''.

(b) Civil Penalty.--Section 4311 of title 46, United States Code,is amended by--

(1) redesignating subsections (c), (d), (e), (f), and (g) assubsections (d), (e), (f), (g), and (h), respectively; and
    (2) inserting after subsection (b) the following:

``(c) A person violating section 4312(b) of this title is liable tothe United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than--

``(1) $100 for the first offense;

``(2) $250 for the second offense; and

``(3) $500 for any subsequent offense.''.

(c) Effective Date.--The amendments made in subsections (a) and (b)shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of thissection, unless the Commandant, prior to the date that is 90 days afterthe date of the enactment of this section, determines that the userequirement enacted in subsection (a) would not promote recreationalboating safety.

——————————————-
    The term “covered recreational vessel” isnt referring to a vessel with a roof etc, it is referring to vessels that are covered by the relevant law and is defined as:

(1) Covered recreational vessel .— The term “covered recreational vessel” means a recreational vessel that is— (A) less than 26 feet overall in length; and (B) capable of developing 115 pounds or more of static thrust.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/46/4312

This would therefore appear to apply to bassboats up to 26ft length?

2. Member
    Well, from the looks of that regulation, you will need to carry a lawyer too.

Why would you not use one?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Why would you not use one?
    I agree--But, just another law that can't and won't be enforced!!

5. Moderator
    Should always wear the kill switch cord whenever the outboard is running.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    Should always wear the kill switch cord whenever the outboard is running.

The Salt life folks don't wear PFDs, you think they will do this?

8. Member
    I always have mine attached when on plane anyway.

9. dartag1829
    Kind of like seat belts in cars. They are required in a lot of states but the rules are not enforced.

10. Member
    A kill switch saved my life once. Enough said.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    We also don’t drive like a bunch lunatics

I always wear mine. I see no reason not to.

13. Member
    Already a law in Alabama.

14. Member
    I always wear mine anyway. It's just a tiny little inconvenience that could save your life...

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa

You wouldn't be able to see their Stylish Salt Life Shirts if they were covered up by an Ugly PFD image is everything when you are Building Your Brand.

Most of their boats are greater than 26'. It's not an excuse, per se, but just means this law doesn't apply to them.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

I don’t see a problem with this regulation. I just wish it covered larger craft, like cigarette boats. While wearing your kill switch could save your life, to my way of thinking, that’s no reason to make it a law. However, using your kill switch could save the life of others, which does justify creation of the regulation. To me, the government has no business requiring seat belt use as a seat belt is designed to save your life and requiring it’s use is a violation of one’s freedom to chose (which also includes the freedom to make bad choices). But, to me it’s perfectly legitimate for the government to require me to have working brakes on my vehicle as this will protect others whom I might run over if my brakes are faulty.

FYI - I always wear my seat belt and my kill switch.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

18. Member
    Should be left up to the voters of each State. I'd hazard a guess that many more people die or are crippled from motorcycle accidents with no helmets on than people crippled or die from a boat accident because of no kill switch. Don't see a big push from a Federal agency to correct that . Stay out of the States business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I don’t see a problem with this regulation. I just wish it covered larger craft, like cigarette boats. While wearing your kill switch could save your life, to my way of thinking, that’s no reason to make it a law. However, using your kill switch could save the life of others, which does justify creation of the regulation. To me, the government has no business requiring seat belt use as a seat belt is designed to save your life and requiring it’s use is a violation of one’s freedom to chose (which also includes the freedom to make bad choices). But, to me it’s perfectly legitimate for the government to require me to have working brakes on my vehicle as this will protect others whom I might run over if my brakes are faulty.

FYI - I always wear my seat belt and my kill switch.
    But if you fall out of your boat and it keeps going, it also has the possibility of injuring others. Therefore, based on your brakes argument, the kill switch should be a requirements.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    But if you fall out of your boat and it keeps going, it also has the possibility of injuring others. Therefore, based on your brakes argument, the kill switch should be a requirements.
    Isn’t that what I said?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast