Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by badbaggerHD View Post
    We also don’t drive like a bunch lunatics
    Really? How many videos of guys running wfo have been posted here in the last 15 years or pics of wrecked bass boats? I wear mine in tournaments, rarely any other time.

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I added the Fell Marine MOB+ electronic kill switch to my pontoon and have much more piece of mind. It connects into the regular kill switch. You wear a FOB and if you fall in the water or it gets out of range, it kills the motor... No cord to have to connect and disconnect.

I don't have fear of being ejected like bass boaters but I troll and land fish on each side of the boat with the side doors open. Not practical to link to the kill switch and I've always had this sinking feeling about falling overboard while landing a fish and watching my boat continue on its merry way at 2.5 MPH.

If you haven't investigated it, you should. You can even buy it on Amazon. A straight forward self install, as long as you can easily get to your kill switch wires.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Dogfish_Jones
    As mentioned earlier, Alabama already has this law. But even if it wasn't a law here I would wear one. I have mine attached to my life vest and when I sit down in my seat I always put my vest on which is attached to the switch.
    I can see/understand those that dislike it being a law, but rather have it a choice. I might could go along with that premise but not if you have an passenger, if something happens to you, then you have put another person in a life/death situation. The other scenario would be your boat going wild and running into another boat or heading toward land where maybe swimmers, are at.
    I guess I just think it is also our responsibility to be as careful as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    If saving the lives of others is the end goal We Need A LOT more LAWS!
    I think that you missed my point entirely.

I’m out if this discussion.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Texas passed that law a few years ago... Complying with it didn't affect me one bit.
    +1...I’ve always hooked up...even on the bay boat which is a bit of a pita.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Really? How many videos of guys running wfo have been posted here in the last 15 years or pics of wrecked bass boats? I wear mine in tournaments, rarely any other time.
    I am a saltwater guy, at least here we don’t drive like a bunch of lunatics.

7. Member
    How are they going to enforce it? Can't tell you have it hooked to you or not until they are right on top of you and by then you can already have attached it. Only see it being enforced if you actually fall out and didn't have it attached.

I am a saltwater guy, at least here we don’t drive like a bunch of lunatics.
    Florida?

9. Member
    We have so many laws on the books now that if they were all enforced it would be like that scene in Andy Griffith where he left town and Barney arrested everyone in town. Aunt Bea, the Preacher, everyone.

Some years ago when I was in a position to work with the KDFWR, I often said, "Our deer rules and regulations require a 40 page magazine to print now, and every time the commission meets they want to change, add to, or alter them. Alabama has a tri-fold pamphlet on deer rules and regulations and the 3 panel of it is advertising.

I've been fishing over 50 years. I have been stopped and checked by a gamewarden maybe 6 times over the years. I'm thinking they have a lot of laws they aren't enforcing.

10. Member
    Just so everybody realizes all these good for humanity laws are written up by insurance co lawyers . They right it up in a Bill form and send the Bill to state and federal houses to be put into law . No politician is going to vote against protecting other people . in doing so it puts restrictions on our freedoms to do right or wrong . Mean time they reap the rewards of making more money for them . Insurance company’s are to blame .

Been a law here for almost 2 years. No big deal. I always use mine and did as well before the law.

12. Member
    People have been lazy about using lanyards and im one of them. If this law will make me to remember to use it its all good. There was a tournament a few years ago that at check in before weighing in they disqualified a bunch of guys that didnt have them on.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I guess I just think it is also our responsibility to be as careful as possible.
    Should we have speed limits and HP restrictions on all lakes to save lives? How about keeping people off the water all together so nobody drowns in our public lakes.

At some point, we have to accept the risk and know that some people will get injured and die. Just like driving on the roads. We could take traffic fatalities down to zero by banning vehicles, but we don't. We KNOW that allowing vehicles on the roads will result in some innocent people dying. But we accept their losses for the greater good.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthunter5 View Post
    this will suck on my pontoon boat
    Ha Ha HA.

15. Member
    I always use mine. Along with a PFD if I'm more than idling in gear. There was time when I didn't use either, but I was a lot younger then. I guess for me over the years, it's sank in that sh!t happens, at the oddest of times and when it's least expected.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Common sense can’t be legislated. If someone is too stupid to know to wear a PFD and attach the kill switch on their own then a new law or regulation will make little difference to them.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

17. Member
    This is already a law down here in Texas cause a girl that got ejected then run over by the boat. They way most do it in the salt is the kill switch is attached to your wrist with a leash you slip over before you take off. But I just use a inflatable PFD and throw it on then leave it in the chair like in my bass boat.

We also don’t drive like a bunch lunatics
    Really?

P01135809

19. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Should we have speed limits and HP restrictions on all lakes to save lives? How about keeping people off the water all together so nobody drowns in our public lakes.

At some point, we have to accept the risk and know that some people will get injured and die. Just like driving on the roads. We could take traffic fatalities down to zero by banning vehicles, but we don't. We KNOW that allowing vehicles on the roads will result in some innocent people dying. But we accept their losses for the greater good.
    I understand that part, but notice I wrote, "as careful as possible" That means we should do what we can to prevent a death or a major accident. You mentioned or compared this to driving an automobile. But we do make sure as best as possible to make sure our vehicle are in good order. I hope you do not drive with your steering link falling off and at times when you steer left or right, it does not respond. Maybe making sure your headlights work if you drive at night.
    You will NEVER stop all accidents, but we can use common sense and caution to prevent some. Like when you are required to use lights on your boats when it is dark while on the water. Do we get rid of that law?
    I just think if we can do anything within reason to prevent an accident, we should be glad to do it.
    I of course accept the risk for driving a auto, a boat, but I still make sure I can do what I can to prevent an accident.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Florida?

Not much you can do for th most part going through those inlets. The St Lucie inlet here is rough but we know how to drive it. But I noted you point

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast