Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop blowout on takeoff

<3B011971>

I recently re-powered my 2005 Skeeter 200 TZX with a new Mercury 200 Pro XS. It's a great motor, but blows out on takeoff, and doesn't settle out until it finally gets on top at about 3,500 rpms. The prop has 3 holes for plugs, and I'm not familiar with that. My 200 HPDI was finally retired with 1,000 hours, but it always provided a great holeshot. Any suggestions on inserting plugs into the prop holes? Will that help the holeshot?
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-25-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Serial Number

2. Member
    new as in 4 strk new , pvs system on merc props alow for adjustments of exhaust gas relief holes plugs are avail for these to reduce amount of venting see your local dealer for these and start reducing hole sizes one at a time or try diff prop, also try propeller forum for more info on this
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Like Joe indicated if new 4-stroke things are different. There are several topics about props and setup in the 4-stroke forum. Might visit there - Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Thank you.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving thread to the 4-stroke forum.

If you would, take a quick peak at the Announcements at the top of the Fourstroke Forum, provide your engine's serial number, and as much of the performance info (suggested) as you can. That may help in offering useful suggestions for your question.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    The 4s motors have a lot of torque on holeshot. You can more thank likely plug all the holes with solid PVS plugs and then your prop will bite better on takeoff
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

7. Member
    Tell us about prop you are currently running .....brand.......model.......number of blades ........pitch,, Like maybe a Mercury, Fury, 3 blade, 23 pitch!

8. Member
    The prop is a 3 blade, 22" PowerTech.

9. Member
    Try plugging the holes. Should help prop from slipping. Also you may need to lower jackplate. And I'm not an expert but you may need a 23 or 24 pitch prop. Just guesses without more info.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

10. Member
    I am not familiar with Power tech props. The pitch on your prop sounds close to me. If Powertech is a small bore prop like a Mercury Trophy plus then I bet you will need cavitation ring as well as plug the 3 holes. Also make sure jack plate is not set to high.

11. Member
    Is your prop bore sleeve securely in place? (If that motor requires one)
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

12. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, and please continue. The jackplate was unchanged from where it was with the Yamaha, and that motor performed great. It was just past time to retire it. After the first time out with the Merc, I lowered the jackplate about 3/4", and didn't notice any improvement. I've now plugged the holes in the prop, and will report after I've had a chance to test it.

13. Member
    Today was the first time out after plugging the holes in the prop. It made a noticeable improvement, but still doesn't pop out of the hole like the Yamaha did, and revs up considerably more to get on top. I should have mentioned that the Skeeter has a 12" jackplate.

Quote Originally Posted by davidb104 View Post
    Today was the first time out after plugging the holes in the prop. It made a noticeable improvement, but still doesn't pop out of the hole like the Yamaha did, and revs up considerably more to get on top. I should have mentioned that the Skeeter has a 12" jackplate.
    Now go back up to original plate setting. You may be to small of pitch
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

15. Member
    I am thinking you will need Jackplate set as high as you can and not loose water pressure when you trim up. Also if you have a buddy or a place that will let you try a Mercury Fury 23 pitch I think it would be worth your time. 3 or 4 blade which ever you can find.

16. Member
    Please educate me. Raising the jackplate will help with holeshot? I would have thought the opposite.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Moving thread to the 4-stroke forum.

If you would, take a quick peak at the Announcements at the top of the Fourstroke Forum, provide your engine's serial number, and as much of the performance info (suggested) as you can. That may help in offering useful suggestions for your question.
    Perhaps I missed it- but it would really help if you would look at the Announcements at the top of the Forum, Provide the REQUIRED info, and as much of the Performance Data info suggested as you can.

Can't really compare the setup of this engine to your old Yamaha. Two completely different engines, and depending on your serial number, substantially a HUGE difference in gearcase and running height setup.

Additionally- you will probably find utilizing one of the better Mercury Bass-Market propellers will be of benefit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Thank you for the reminder. I do not have some of the information requested; however, I'll supply what I have. The engine is new, a 2021 Mercury 200 Pro XS, Serial # 3B011971. The prop is a PowerTech 3 blade, 23 pitch. I have now plugged all 3 holes and the holeshot is improved, but still
    lagging.

The boat is a 19+ ft. Skeeter 200 TZX, with a 12" manual jackplate. The engine idles perfectly at 800-1,000 rpms on analog gauges. I have not run it wide open, and may never. I rarely ran the Yamaha at over 4,500 rpms, which was fast enough for me at appr. 50 mph on GPS.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really do need to wind that thing out to WOT at least once, so that WOT RPM's can be determined (of course you'll need some form of Smartcraft Instrument to have a viable reading).

Dealer should have verified it was reaching WOT position when they did the PDI for you.

Prop wise... I would be trying a Fury or Tempest Plus (22P or 23P) as a good starting-point prop.

20. Member
    Thank you. I lowered the jackplate about 3/4" when I had the problem with the holeshot. 2500 suggested that I move it back to its original position.
    Please offer your opinion on raising or lowering the jackplate, and its effect on holeshot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast