Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

PROPER 4-Stroke V6 and V8 Battery Selection

There has been a significant amount of discussion both here and in other BBC Forums regarding using LITHIUM Batteries with the V6 and V8 Fourstroke engine models.

To help clarify without any discrepancy, here is what we recommend:

AGM Battery of at least 975 CCA Capacity for any Fishing Application.

Below is a precise quote of the Installation and Rigging Instructions for a V8 Fourstroke:

Quote Originally Posted by Installation and Rigging Instructions
    IMPORTANT: This engine requires a 12-volt absorbed glass mat (AGM) marine starting battery that meets the minimum ratings.

Do not use flooded (wet cell), gel cell type lead acid batteries
    or lithium ion batteries for starting marine engines...

So it is not just "use an AGM Battery". Service Literature specifically and clearly adds what types of batteries are NOT to be used.

You are supposed to receive this booklet when you take delivery of your new engine, too.

For information on various batteries:

"BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS" - NEW AND IMPROVED LIST 7/20

Quote Originally Posted by SB 2022-19
    As of 9/26/2022, Mercury has issued Service Bulletin 2022-19 stating that the listed engines will be permitted to use a Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery that is designed for engine cranking, as long as it meets the listed specifications:

-2.1L 75-115hp Fourstroke, ProXS and SeaPro Models
    -3.0L 150hp Fourstroke, ProXS and SeaPro
    -4.6L V8 and 3.4L V6 175-300hp Fourstroke, ProXS, SeaPro and Verado Models
    -2.6L L6 200-400 Pro and Verado Models
    -7.6L V12 500-600hp SeaPro and Verado Models.
    -NO other engines approved at this time.

Minimum Specs Required:

-Chemistry/Format: Lithium IRON Phosphate designed for MARINE CRANKING USE.
    -Minimum Cranking Amps: 800A for 8 second minimum @ 20 Degrees F
    -Peak Charge Acceptance: 165A at 20-130 degrees F for one minute
    -Max Charge Alternator Size: 150A at 20-130 degrees F
    -Max Charge Voltage/Alternator Output: 14.8V
    -Reserve Capacity (RC25 @ 80F): 135 Minutes
    -Ingress Protection (IP rating): IP67 or greater.

Cautions that use at temperatures below 32F may require additional equipment such as a battery heater.

Bulletin also lists a Relion Battery that has been evaluated and meets the above requirements: RB100-HP.

https://relionbattery.com/products/lithium/rb100-hp

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-26-2022 at 12:56 PM. Reason: New Information!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Seems very clear, so why do brand new boats and new motor installs come mostly with flooded wet cell cranking batteries? And I’m the first to put my hand up to say I have never read the manual about type, only ran with 1,000 CCA.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    Seems very clear, so why do brand new boats and new motor installs come mostly with flooded wet cell cranking batteries? And I’m the first to put my hand up to say I have never read the manual about type, only ran with 1,000 CCA.
    First thought is there cheap and whomever rigged it didn't bother to read that far or didn't care..

Not the first but I will be next to BRAGG on the folks who post valuable info on here... I've passed on several facts to dealers, mechanics and a Minn Kota ASC some details I've learned they'd never heard of. The most amazing was a dealer/mechanic who had no idea the new 4 strokes had to have the throttle set by computer.. Once you learn how to sift thru the BS and do some research you can stay on "the cutting edge"

5. Member
    Had the included warning against anything but an AGM with my new boat. With that said I cant help but wonder about the seemingly majority of pro fisherman, many with mercury sponsorship, running lithium ion starting batteries for hundreds of hours more than I would guess most people on this site run with no adverse affects.
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

Most of us don't have a sponsor ! We pay full price for these HIGH dollar V8's--- Personally I'm not willing to be the one who has that "adverse affect"
    We've been warned and hopefully educated.. It's your money your motor and your decision...
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 01-21-2021 at 08:21 AM.