Replacing a reel seat.

I have a rod that found its way out of the boat and onto the highway. Fortunately it survived with no damage other than the trigger getting ground off. That rod has sat against the wall for a few years and I am about ready to refurbish it and put it back to work. I have built rods so I know how to fix it, just unsure of the best way to get it apart. My question is what is the best way to remove the old reel seat and get off epoxy residue?
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

2. Member
    Need to use a dremel with a cutting disk and slice the seat to split it off the blank. Gentle heat and scraping will eventual get most the epoxy off
    Nitro z21

3. Member
    As jasonG suggested. I removed and replaced a reel seat on a rod the same way. One thing to think of also is to reinstall a new reel seat. I used same process of removing the reel seat to remove the butt cap/rear handle assembly. The difficult process was cleaning the epoxy. I used rubbing alcohol, sharp razor blade, fine emery cloth and patience. using a cloth soak with alcohol and wrap epoxied area then carefully with razorblade cut away as much material as you can. When down to the little remaining epoxy use emery cloth soaked with the alcohol and lightly rub away remaining material till a smooth surface allowing a new seat to be installed.