Oil dip stick stuck?

Had the cowl off my 2020 150 Pro XS for something else and decided to check my oil level. I pulled as hard as I dared but it wouldn't budge. 2B699863

Before I put some real muscle into it, am I doing something wrong?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Never ran into that, myself. Try twisting it 10-15 degrees as you pull up on the dipstick (and respectfully of course, make sure you are actually on the dipstick, not the fuel filter access handle).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    My 150 4stroke Dipstick is sometimes hard to pull, but usually some mild twisting action frees it. Coat the o-rings w/ some oil before replacing, makes it easier next time!
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

4. Member
    On my 150 4S I feel like if I grab and pull it will hit me in the face when it finally pops out. I rest my hands on the oil filter, grab the dipstick and roll my hands to pull up on the dipstick. When it pops out, it is less violent and controlled. Try that.

5. Member
    Same motor, same method as above.
    2000 TR186
    2018 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6in jack plate-24" Fury3

6. Member
    Same here. At first I thought I was going to need to hook an engine hoist to it. It loosens up with use and time.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JS! View Post
    On my 150 4S I feel like if I grab and pull it will hit me in the face when it finally pops out. I rest my hands on the oil filter, grab the dipstick and roll my hands to pull up on the dipstick. When it pops out, it is less violent and controlled. Try that.
    Good explanation and method.

A light coating of 2-4-C on the o-rings before you put the dipstick back in next time may help.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor