where to mount Hummingbird GPS puck and Ultrex Heading Sensor

finishing up installing a Helix 12 bow w/ NON mega 360, 5 port ethernet switch and helix 12 @ console and a 112 Ultrex 45" non link on my 2004 Cougar FTD...its been brought to my attention that I need the Humminbird AS GPS HC puck for accurate waypoints on 360.

I mounted the TM heading sensor behind drivers console on rear deck by vent...where is everyone else mounting their GPS pucks for 360? at the bow? do I need a second GPS puck by rear transducer for marking stuff on side imaging?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

2. Member
    IMG_3949.JPG
    Trolling motor sensor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    finishing up installing a Helix 12 bow w/ NON mega 360, 5 port ethernet switch and helix 12 @ console and a 112 Ultrex 45" non link on my 2004 Cougar FTD...its been brought to my attention that I need the Humminbird AS GPS HC puck for accurate waypoints on 360.

I mounted the TM heading sensor behind drivers console on rear deck by vent...where is everyone else mounting their GPS pucks for 360? at the bow? do I need a second GPS puck by rear transducer for marking stuff on side imaging?
    You'll probably get more help over on the Humminbird Sonar/GPS section on this website. Wayne and several others over there will answer your question perfectly for your exact equipment. If using the Heading Sensor puck just for general non-360 heading info, there is no issue putting it back where you have it. If you plan to mark waypoints on your bow 360 with it, you'll be 20 feet off all the time. But again, those guys over there are lights out accurate with their knowledge of your topic of question. Of course no offense to anyone looking at this BCB thread.

thanks BassCatKev....I have tried with some questiosn over there and once guy answers one way...the next the other...Wayne states to put the AS GPS HS back as close to rear transducer as possible and DOug V says to put it as close to 360 as possible....so I am thinking I need two external pucks....one for 360 that is bow mounted and one for console that is rear deck mounted....which leaves me with three pucks total as I have the Ultrex heading sensor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjbubba View Post
    IMG_3949.JPG
    Trolling motor sensor
    thanks! I may have to move mine into that area.

6. Member
    I do not believe that the Ultrex heading sensor is needed unless you are going to use the jog function. I just took mine off when I re-did my front deck and added new carpet/padding where the puck was located. I don't plan on putting it back on.

Just a thought about eliminating a puck since you are adding some others.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

Quote Originally Posted by kylemoodie View Post
    I do not believe that the Ultrex heading sensor is needed unless you are going to use the jog function. I just took mine off when I re-did my front deck and added new carpet/padding where the puck was located. I don't plan on putting it back on.

Just a thought about eliminating a puck since you are adding some others.
    thanks! I may go ahead and do that as I hardly use the jog feature.

8. Member
    Use the heading sensor it makes a difference in my opinion and make sure to calibrate it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    thanks! I may go ahead and do that as I hardly use the jog feature.

No problem, I have read that it is not needed, but I myself have always had one (until now when I just took if off). My normal tournament partner has never had his installed and said it works just fine.
    2020 Triton TRX19- Mercury 225 ProXs 4s
    Solix 12 MSI Console, Solix 12MDI Bow
    Helix 9 Mega 360 Bow
    Garmin 106sv Livescope Bow
    Ultrex, Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    2022 Silverado
    Member of Skoolin' Bass Anglers and Wolf River Bass Club

kyle do you have any pics of where your pucks are mounted? I plan to use a compass to figure out interference issues but just looking for general ideas. I have been told for the console GPS puck you want it as close to the SI transducer as possible for marking structure/cover when graphing