Best time to lake hop up there

MN guys.... always been a bucket list item to pull the boat up there and take a week and fish a bunch of different "smaller" lakes.... Thinking around the North Turtle lake area and then just fishing around... Any thoughts on best time of year from fishing/weather standpoint? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    I would think likely from about Memorial Day to about Mid June, but will be dependent on water temps. I know my signs are blooming lilacs and cottonwood seeds everywhere in this part of the country.

3. Member
    Largemouth- Early June through first week of September. They've usually finished spawning and they're schooled up in their predictable summer locations.

Now if you're chasing smallmouth it's a different story.

4. Member
    Thanks! Depends on the lakes we fish I guess? Late June is what I have circled at the moment... So next question is does that lend more towards Green fish in lakes such as Turtle etc.....And if we were to chase brownies what would a recommendation be around that area?

5. Member
    I don't fish for smallies, so i'm no help there.

I prefer to fish that area later in the summer. I just like to fish when the vegetation is well developed, and in some of those bigger lakes, it can take a while depending on weather/wind.

The nice thing is there is a variety of lake types, there's gonna be something happening somewhere.

If you like fishing light tackle, early is better. If you like fishing big rods, later is better.

6. Member
    Ledgeman, just use this Mn. state site. You can type in the lake name & county or what's even easier and quicker just expand the small state map on the front page of the site and click on any lake. You get all the info on the last lake survey and lift counts. N. Turtle is in Ottertail Co.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

7. Member
    That site is amazing... What an awesome resource to discover details on the fisheries. Really appreciate you sharing

First half of June
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Late June can be tough post spawn the further north you travel. That time of year is weather dependent. Go earlier for spawners or later if you want to find a consistent summer pattern.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ledgeman View Post
    That site is amazing... What an awesome resource to discover details on the fisheries. Really appreciate you sharing
    Your welcome. Here is my 2-cents worth. I'm very lucky that I was able to retire at 50. So I started a fishing guide service in the Alexandria area and got very serious about tourney fishing. It has been my experience that by July both the green & brown fish have established home areas and will be there until mid-September. So the dock bite, slop bite, deep weedlines & deep rocks will start to hold fish in good numbers.

For me the best fishing of the year is from Opener to June 15th. My best days on the water are usually in late May.

12. Member
    I grew up in MN and we go back now for week or two each summer. Obviously, fishing in earlier June depends a lot how warm the spring has been. I've fished early June where it's like fishing in a aquarium in 1-6ft. and other years where the spawn has been scattered because of weather swings and you can't figure out a pattern to save your life. July and August should bring more stable weather and predictable patterns but I've had crap weather make for difficult days later in the summer as well. I hate wind but the nice thing aboutlake hopping MN is you can see which direction the wind is blowing an pick a lake that will provide some calmer areas.

13. Member
    Last two weeks in July first two weeks in August. Late June can be tough because of post spawn on clear lakes. If you live up there like I do you can follow them from spawn right on through but if you're just visiting for a week then in July/August they'll be where you think they'll be. Turtle is really good for smallies and largies but very clear. Points and bars at dawn and dusk with topwater is great! Daytime is hit or miss in 20+ feet. There's 1000 lakes in the county North Turtle is in and they almost all hold bass. If you're up that way hire a guide for a day and go Muskie fishing on the Bigfork River.