Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greenville County Property Tax - visit to the Auditor's office

I received my property tax bill on the boat and motor. same boat and motor as my in signature below.
    The taxable value on the motor appears where I'd expect it to be; The taxable value assigned to the hull, IMO, is really high. About 40% higher than the price of the boat (hull) on the buyer's order.

There's an appeal form that can be filled out and mailed, faxed, or delivered in person to the auditor's office. I'll probably go in person.

I think I have a reasonable case to make with them. I will report back once this is addressed.

I know you gotta pay to play, but this seems a little unreasonable. Total property tax bill is a bit north of 3-grand.
    Last edited by djb750; 01-24-2021 at 08:31 AM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

2. Member
    Watch them they will rip you off ,so you paid 48 but there taxing you for 66 sounds like the gov to me perfect and hold on to your shorts cause after today it's only getting worse.really its a shame to have to pay 250 a month in taxes how they even justify it is beyond me then waste the money or pay there retirement fund.
    Last edited by 2dwoods; 01-20-2021 at 05:52 AM.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That's the privilege of living in one of SC's most desirable counties. They've always been high on property tax. That's why I moved to Anderson county.

4. Member
    Update: Just left the auditor's office. The lady reassigned the taxable value to a figure just below the retail, which knocked off just under $1000 from the total bill.
    I hate taxes but I can stomach this for the enjoyment it brings.
    Thank goodness. If it didn't go well, $250/month in taxes would've been a deal breaker.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Good catch, I'll defiantly be looking at mine this year. It's due in the mail any day now.
    USMC Vet!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've run into the same thing. Now watch it next year because I've actually seen them claim that a boat "appreciated" by over 40% after the first year.

Part of the problem is that they are working from a huge run list that comes from DNR... knew someone that worked in the Anderson Office for years, and she was quite familiar with how that works.

From the auditor's side, they really don't have a lot to work with (probably just went with the highest value they could find for a Bullet).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    On the Boat Value Review form, it asks you to explain why you are requesting the review. In that part, I just kinda extrapolated an arbitrary value for the boat based on the motor price and taxable value they gave it. Well, that number was a bit too low for the auditor. So she thumbed through the buyers order and got her calculator out and then just came up with a new value. I think the figure she came up with was also arbitrary, but I didn't ask how she arrived at it either. I just thanked her and told her to have a nice day.
    It would be real asset to know someone on the "inside".
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Member
    Here in VA we register and pay tax on trailers. I figured out my boat tax was based upon boat, motor and trailer..

10. Member
    When I was in to ? Them ,they whipped out a book must of been 5" thick and flipped thru to find the boat hull value mine wasn't in there so all I can figure they just throw a # at it and hope it sticks ,after I said something they gave my boat a very low value and I ran out the office without a complaint

11. Member
    I can't imagine having to pay annual taxes on a boat and motor. I can see a tax on the purchase but annual taxes no way.

12. Member
    It sucks I have a 98 model ski boat I've paid every year since New I hate to add up the amount for 23 yrs and if I don't pay the 120 dollars this yr they can take it from me ,we never own anything really

13. Member
    My wife and I are retired and love to fish Lake Greenwood. The only reason we don't move there is the personal property tax for vehicles and boats.

14. Member
    Welcome to SC gentlemen- I have a 97 21XD and still paying taxes on it. I called in regards to what point would it be taxed out, the answer was when the value declines to the point where it’s not worth the time to tax it. I have paid 24 yrs taxes, 24 years insurance all of the $&@ before I purchase gas, oil and maintenance. Fish are well above $1000 per pound. Born FREE and TAXED to DEATH. Don’t go put a tag on your trailer because they will tax you again on the trailer.

15. Member
    I believe it like 2500 bucks then they quit, as far as moving here I know alot of people that keep there boats registered in another state to skip taxes ,I need to let my sister in Fla.own my boat and let me borrow it for a few yrs.

16. Member
    In some counties they are charging/assessing tax for the hull using the package price for boat and motor,...…….and then sending another notice for just the motor. Yo have to prove it to them with a bill of sale and then they reduce the tax on boat by eliminating the motor assessment from the boat notice..

Sounds like what they were doing to you.

17. Member
    I would move.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

18. Member
    They do the same here. I decked out my boat at the dealer, and the following year I get a tax bill on everything I added to the boat, it was a PITA to get corrected, but it saved me about 700 bucks. I am waiting on this years to see if they are going to try and molest me again. I have a good friend who is a real-estate attny, he told me years ago that states are broke, and they will come after you for every nickle they can get and will make stuff up to get it.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dwoods View Post
    I believe it like 2500 bucks then they quit, as far as moving here I know alot of people that keep there boats registered in another state to skip taxes ,I need to let my sister in Fla.own my boat and let me borrow it for a few yrs.
    Go walk around the Charleston marinas. Most boats are registered in Georgia. I have a feeling SC is going to crack down on it. They are broke with the pandemic going on. Easy money for them.

20. Member
    Spartanburg County is just as bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast