Mercury Black Max XR2 150HP Not Reving Out

Hi, wondering if any one can help me out with my motor issue.
    I have a Mercury Back Max XR-2 150hp. Serial No 0A166611.
    When I purchased it the gent said the it ran fine one season then wouldn’t run properly the next. I thought, great I like a project.
    I took it to my local boat mechanic who told me that the timing was advanced to make it idle at 2000rpm.
    Got it fixed to as best that they could at the time. Told me best place would be to start with the fuel system. So I ordered new carb kits, needle and sets and fuel pump kit. I have checked the reed valves for any chips or any issues. They all look good.
    Carbs were cleaned and then run through an ultra sonic cleaner.
    Set the timing back to factory (11 ATDC and 22 BTDC at cranking) and found i could only start it with some throttle.
    Did some reading. Found that the base timing usually ends up around 6 degrees ATDC. So I have set it at that currently. Seems better at starting but still needs to be a little more tweaked. Idling at around 800 rpm in gear. I will need to drop that back a little to get it to the desired 600-750rpm requirement.
    Took it to the dam over the new year break. Did some hull shots. Seemed to stumble then take off. Maxing out at 52km/h (32m/h) at around 4000rpm max. Prop is a 19P Laser II.
    Removed the carb covers so I could watch the throttle on progression. It seemed to stutter while constantly throttled on until the carbs opened up and would power off.
    The stator has been replaced at some stage. Has a date of April 2001.
    Trigger was also replaced dated March 2006.

Thanks Brad

2. Member
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xnaxbu0j0...ZvVT_hexa?dl=0

Hopefully this works. I have some pictures and videos to the motor running

thank you in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Brindal; 01-19-2021 at 10:12 PM.

3. Member
    compression and leak down first ,make sure linkage at trigger is advancing smoothly not lagging, check spark on all 6 , that mtr has a 200 diverplate and a bell shape tuner in it used on older 2.4 200 mtrs xr2 is a 2.0l mtr in my opion that caused lots of low end problems on these on heavy boats , we gotta make sure basics are right first
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1 on checking all of the basics.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor