12" Atlas Hydraulic Jack Plate

I'm kicking the idea around of going to a 12" Atlas Hydraulic Jack Plate. Presently I still have the JB 8" manual jack plate. You guys heard or had any issues with something like this. Also want to add the brackets on the Atlas Jack Plate for 12' Talons. Just want to ward off any issues before I dump the cash. Thanks
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    2024 Mercury 250L Pro XS SN# 3B431534
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

2. Member
    I just picked up a manual 12” plate to go on mine. I’ve read where most people find that a 10” is the sweet spot on these boats. But I found a good deal on a 12 and went with it. I’ve also read some people really like a 12” plate. I see no issues with what you’re wanting to do, looks like we will be going into this around the same time.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

3. Member
    Ryno,
    My wife has this bad idea of buying stuff cause it was such a good deal or on clearance, but at the end of the day, it never turns out to be so great after all.
    I am surprised that you just stated that many people found the 10" to be the sweet spot for the 225HP, which BTW, it is, yet you want to invest time and good money going into a different direction.
    I have a '02 Cobra 201 DC with '03 Merc 225 EFI worked, and I can tell you by experimenting and asking experienced people like Backlash AR, that 10" it is the sweet spot for this hull.

My best to you, and please let us know your experience. Thank you

4. Member
    We will find out dig. Like I had said, I had read as well where some guys felt like the more the better from their experiences. It may not work out the best, but as you know, every boat is different. I will be moving to a 250 4 stroke in the next few months, which was part of why I went ahead with the 12", just to see how it likes it. My 225 efi is getting low on compression which is why I'm looking at repowering.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno 615 View Post
    We will find out dig. Like I had said, I had read as well where some guys felt like the more the better from their experiences. It may not work out the best, but as you know, every boat is different. I will be moving to a 250 4 stroke in the next few months, which was part of why I went ahead with the 12", just to see how it likes it. My 225 efi is getting low on compression which is why I'm looking at repowering.
    Ryno,
    That is a very big piece of MIA information I was not privy, hence, 250 4 stroke may have the added power needed to push that additional leverage of the 12".
    Sorry to hear that about your 225 EFI, though I would like to know how many hours you have on it please. Mine has a little over 300ish, though if you read my ECM will say closer to 450+ since it was replaced with a used from a 250 to get more HP out of mine. Praise and glory onto Christ, mine is still running like a beast.