Who is running the new 4.6l Merc 250 Pro XS?

Trading my 2 stroke. curious who is running one of the new V8 250's.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

2. Member
    I'm running a 250R on my 20xdc Bullet. Really like it. It was a challenge getting it propped, I'm still working on the set up. I had to invest in a hydraulic jack plate. The issue I was having was, if I set the motor where it ran out good on top end, it would blow out (really bad) when it would break over getting on plane. Lower the motor so it wouldn't blow out coming out of the hole, then it wouldn't run out on top. The hydraulic jack plate solved all of that issue.

Over-all I'm very happy with the V8

Quote Originally Posted by sowenssw View Post
    I'm running a 250R on my 20xdc Bullet. Really like it. It was a challenge getting it propped, I'm still working on the set up. I had to invest in a hydraulic jack plate. The issue I was having was, if I set the motor where it ran out good on top end, it would blow out (really bad) when it would break over getting on plane. Lower the motor so it wouldn't blow out coming out of the hole, then it wouldn't run out on top. The hydraulic jack plate solved all of that issue.

Over-all I'm very happy with the V8
    What prop are you running? I have an Atlas Hydro Jack plate.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

4. Member
    Your already ahead of the game with the hydraulic plate. I'm running a 32p Max 5 Lab Finish. Its a little too much, so I'm going to have it tightened up to around a 30- 31. The prop I had the best results with was a 30p Bravo 1 FS Lab Finish. Both props ran upper 90's, still have some experimenting to do, light I think it could see triple digits. I had the motor flashed to 325hp which allows for a few hundred more rpm's on top. Its been a lot more of a challenge than all the 2 strokes I've had. The v8's are very picky and don't play by the old set of rules. It was a learning curve for me. Biggest mistake i made was running too small of props to start with. If you have access to try props, I would recommend putting something crazy big on, knowing its too much, and work back from there. You'll prop find your sweet spot quicker that way, but thats just my experience.

I have a Labbed Bravo 1 XS 27p, A trophy 26p and a standard 27p Bravo 1 XS. Since my boat is a 22SF , I am hoping one these does the trick. My current motor will spin the labbed 27p to 6100 if i let it.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

6. Member
    I bet the labbed Bravo 1 XS 27p will work pretty darn good. I tried ALOT of props, and the labbed props seem to come out of the hole better for me. Lab vs non lab mid range and top end I didn't see much performance difference (same props, only lab vs non lab). I'm not saying this is the case with all set ups, we all know each boat responds different even with what appears to be the exact same set up, boat and motor. The v8's seem to react totally different with the slightest changes boat to boat. For sure more of a challenge to get set right, at least it has been for me. I say that, if I was happy with an 84 mph boat, it ran that stock out of the box with a 27 Hydramotive prop, but I'm trying for mid to upper 90's light, so that gets a little harder to get to I guess.

I bet the labbed Bravo 1 XS 27p will work pretty darn good. I tried ALOT of props, and the labbed props seem to come out of the hole better for me. Lab vs non lab mid range and top end I didn't see much performance difference (same props, only lab vs non lab). I'm not saying this is the case with all set ups, we all know each boat responds different even with what appears to be the exact same set up, boat and motor. The v8's seem to react totally different with the slightest changes boat to boat. For sure more of a challenge to get set right, at least it has been for me. I say that, if I was happy with an 84 mph boat, it ran that stock out of the box with a 27 Hydramotive prop, but I'm trying for mid to upper 90's light, so that gets a little harder to get to I guess.
    Ran the boat a little this past weekend. Blasts out of the hole with the 27p Bravo 1 XS. right now my water pressure gauge is not functioning, so i would not take the chance of running past 1/2 throttle any at all. Hopefully, after i take it back to the rigger, I will have it all working properly so i can finally enjoy it.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    Ran the boat a little this past weekend. Blasts out of the hole with the 27p Bravo 1 XS. right now my water pressure gauge is not functioning, so i would not take the chance of running past 1/2 throttle any at all. Hopefully, after i take it back to the rigger, I will have it all working properly so i can finally enjoy it.
    KHNC, IM me if you need to hook up the water pressure hose at the motor, I can tell you where to connect it, very simple.

KHNC, IM me if you need to hook up the water pressure hose at the motor, I can tell you where to connect it, very simple.

Thanks! i have it all working now. Just waiting for an opening at a mercury dealer so i can check the WOT on a computer. Guy who set it up does not have diagnostics for new 4 stroke motor. He was also misinformed of the need to use a computer for checking full range of operation. I dont think its opening anywhere near full range right now.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

I am only getting 5600 rpm at 72.2mph right now. i have tried multiple height settings. Tried a 26p Trophy also. It was about 5550 at 68.3. Everything seems to point to WOT not being correct.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

11. Member
    [QUOTE=sowenssw;11639423]Your already ahead of the game with the hydraulic plate. I'm running a 32p Max 5 Lab Finish. Its a little too much, so I'm going to have it tightened up to around a 30- 31. The prop I had the best results with was a 30p Bravo 1 FS Lab Finish. Both props ran upper 90's, still have some experimenting to do, light I think it could see triple digits. I had the motor flashed to 325hp which allows for a few hundred more rpm's on top. Its been a lot more of a challenge than all the 2 strokes I've had. The v8's are very picky and don't play by the old set of rules. It was a learning curve for me. Biggest mistake i made was running too small of props to start with. If you have access to try props, I would recommend putting something crazy big on, knowing its too much, and work back from there. You'll prop find your sweet spot quicker that way, but thats just my experience

Deleted
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

UPDATE: Took my boat to Perry's Marine Service in Simpsonville SC. Hooked to G3 Software. Was only operating at 83% of WOT. No wonder it wouldnt turn my prop any better! I will have a chance to go try it in the next week im hoping. Quick turnaround at the shop. Perry is very knowledgeable on the new 4 Stroke motors.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    828 674 6752

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    UPDATE: Took my boat to Perry's Marine Service in Simpsonville SC. Hooked to G3 Software. Was only operating at 83% of WOT. No wonder it wouldnt turn my prop any better! I will have a chance to go try it in the next week im hoping. Quick turnaround at the shop. Perry is very knowledgeable on the new 4 Stroke motors.
    Sending you a PM
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250