4 stroke rebuild cost

So have read on the inner web, and we know everything on the inner web is true that when and if and more to the when these 250 4 strokes pop out of warranty, rebuild cost could be north of 12k. Don't have a dog in this thread, long live two strokes but is there any truth to this and if so wonder of 4 stroke buyers considered cost of rebuild when 20k was forked out for these motors

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting.

Now in regards to your "inner web" research, it's gonna have to be in pretty bad shape to be "north of 12K" to rebuild it. That price is approaching the cost of a new powerhead.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

So can a new 4S 300,250, etc be rebuilt without buying a power head?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Depends on the extent of the damage.

I sure hope so.. seemed like on the newer 2 strokes most anything and "new powerhead"

6. Member
    take a 2 stroke any day. 12k make ya pucker quick

Quote Originally Posted by fynns View Post
    take a 2 stroke any day. 12k make ya pucker quick
    Lot of them for sale.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would concur that it would depend on the extent of the damage.

Additionally, these powerheads are slightly above the grade in terms of "who" would be rebuilding them. Probably not the best project for even an average tech, IMHO.

Of course, I do expect we will be seeing a Reman Powerhead program for these within a few years, much like other engines Mercury has built.

I'll add that the Verado powerheads weren't "cheap" either... but also will add that many of them were hitting 4000, 5000, 6000+ hours, it's pretty hard to complain.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor