Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Triton quality/future vs. Caymas

Looking at either a 189 TRX or a CX18ss both with a nax 150 hp. I cannot seem to find a Triton to go see in person, but did see a Caymas and was impressed, but almost $50k is a little steep. Tritons have always been good boats imo, just not sure what their quality is like nowadays. The dealer we visited is also a Triton dealer and made the comment that he has no Tritons on the floor for a reason, but did not say why. Just curious what everyone's opinion is on Triton wuality nowadays and if I would be better off to go with Caymas. I hear every other day that Triton will be discontinued. Should Triton be discontinued, would they not have to still provide warranty work?

2. Member

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabman1880 View Post
    Looking at either a 189 TRX or a CX18ss both with a nax 150 hp. I cannot seem to find a Triton to go see in person, but did see a Caymas and was impressed, but almost $50k is a little steep. Tritons have always been good boats imo, just not sure what their quality is like nowadays. The dealer we visited is also a Triton dealer and made the comment that he has no Tritons on the floor for a reason, but did not say why. Just curious what everyone's opinion is on Triton quality nowadays and if I would be better off to go with Caymas. I hear every other day that Triton will be discontinued. Should Triton be discontinued, would they not have to still provide warranty work?
    Any dealer that just signed with Caymas is NOT going to steer you to a Triton for obvious reasons. Many dealers just do not want to deal with White River because White River would like for them to just deal their boats which include, Triton, Ranger, Tracker, Nitro, etc. Don't listen to all the dock talk, Triton is going nowhere. Triton quality has actually improved since manufacturing moved into their own facility.

4. Member
    If you look you will hear the same complaints about every brand out there. The Triton will be less expensive, better looking and will do everything as good as a Caymas. I have not seen a Caymas that looked as good as a Triton yet. I hate the Skeeter rear end on the Caymas.

5. Member
    I seen a Caymas.. that boat looks like a combination of a bunch of boat ..

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

6. Member
    I’m sure all boat manufactures make decent boats nowadays, all depends on what you want. I will say although my Triton took some getting used to driving at high speeds, I like the boat very well. I have no complaints. I don’t see Triton going away anytime soon, but no manufacturer, none of them, are forever. By the boat you like, and good luck to you.

7. Member
    I have a 2017 triton 189trx with mercury pro xs 150 and love it !! Not the fastest boat on the water by no means, but plenty fast enough for me. I can do 58-59 with 2 people and loaded to fish... boat feels bigger than my old Jav 409, and stratos SS... I really have enjoyed my 189trx and love the fishabilty.

8. Member
    My tourney partner just bought a Caymus. So far he has a cracked ice chest lid, Caymus decals coming off and metal lip in back came unscrewed and trailer logos fell off. Not big issues and Caymus has been very responsive. I say this pointing out that none are without issues. The difference will be how they handle little issues. Triton got a real bad rep in last few years by not being responsive to issues. Dealers get tired of that real quick. Hopefully they got that cleaned up. I’m a long time Triton owner but don’t even have the option anymore as there aren’t any dealers anywhere near here anymore.

I have a local guy that carries, and installs Humminbird and Minnkota. He had a new Caymas getting four Solid, Ultrex, 360, and dedicated power wiring to all units. I was hanging out helping him. The Caymas was a pretty nice boat, but I didn't care for the lack of floatation foam in the gunnels. I don't feel like Earl put as much attention to quality as he did with his Tritons.
    2021 Skeeter Zx225
    2021 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Ultrex 112# w/ Ipilot
    Helix 12 Mega+SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ SI
    Helix 9 Mega+ DI
    Helix 9 Chirp/GPS
    Garmin 1222 w/ LSV32
    Ionic Lithium

10. Member
    ^^^what GARACER said^^^ if it's an Earl Bentz hull it is probably solid. He designed Triton and Stratos hulls and both are long standing hulls in the fishing community. But I also agree that the Skeeter tail on the Caymas looks terrible and not a lot of thought went into the Caymas design...

I had a 189 TRX that was an absolute POS. I had it less than 1 year. I traded it in for a demo boat that was a year older 19 XS elite and had zero issues. So im up in the air about their overall quality.

I personally like the Caymas. Its on my short list of next boats. The others are Phoenix and Bass Cat.

Im concerned about Triton's future they closed down their apparel store. They always had good stuff.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

12. Member
    Well one things for sure, there’s plenty of people that like to continue to spread the doom and gloom about Triton, not sure why that is, doesn’t matter to me. My boat, and most of the people I know that own one are very satisfied with them. Every boat manufacturer, has mentioned above and other places will have their issues. As bad as everybody likes to come down on “Johnny” I will say even if they were to discontinue Triton, which I don’t think they will, it’s nice to know the warranty and service is backed by a solid ownership. When it comes to buying a boat, my recommendation would be to look at all them and buy the one that’s right for you, and realize that every boat, no matter what you buy, will have an ending, just like us, we all have an ending we just don’t know when. So go fish and enjoy yourself. Do yourself a favor and leave the doom and gloom. I would think most people have plenty of that to deal with already, why add to the drama?

My situation is not about drama or doom/gloom nor does it have anything to do with JM. Both of my Tritons are pre JM. Its my personal experience. Iv had two Tritons. One an absolute POS and the other flawless. My experience is 50/50.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

14. Member
    I looked at both boats side by side last year. There were things on each boat that I liked and disliked. Most of these things were just my personal taste. I ended up buying a Triton 18trx and so far it hasn't given me any issues and I like the boat. My decision mainly hinged on the price, the Caymas was gonna cost me right at $2k more. I would say check them both out, price them, then buy what you want.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    My situation is not about drama or doom/gloom nor does it have anything to do with JM. Both of my Tritons are pre JM. Its my personal experience. Iv had two Tritons. One an absolute POS and the other flawless. My experience is 50/50.
    sorry if I appears I directed that at you. It was meant as a reply to OP. In any case, I’m glad the boat you have now has been good, hope your luck continues.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    sorry if I appears I directed that at you. It was meant as a reply to OP. In any case, I’m glad the boat you have now has been good, hope your luck continues.

Pretty funny as I simply asked if they did discontinue the line, do you think the warranty would still be honored. The rumors would not keep me from buying one, but to not have a warranty might. Anything can be gone tomorrow.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
    Pretty funny as I simply asked if they did discontinue the line, do you think the warranty would still be honored. The rumors would not keep me from buying one, but to not have a warranty might. Anything can be gone tomorrow.
    agree, I would hate to have a boat with a warranty voided. As long as Bass Pro shops survive along with Johnny Morris‘s empire, I would think the Triton warranty would survive. Of course the motor is warranty by mercury. I’d be much more nervous about a boat manufacture that was a standalone if they were not financially solid. I guess I missed your post about questioning the warranty, I don’t see it in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I had a 189 TRX that was an absolute POS. I had it less than 1 year. I traded it in for a demo boat that was a year older 19 XS elite and had zero issues. So im up in the air about their overall quality.

I personally like the Caymas. Its on my short list of next boats. The others are Phoenix and Bass Cat.

Im concerned about Triton's future they closed down their apparel store. They always had good stuff.
    It’s open again now with all new gear
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    It’s open again now with all new gear

That's intersting because when I go there I get this:

This store is currently closed

Thank you for shopping with Triton Gear! Unfortunately, our store has officially closed.

For returns/refunds please contact cs@tritonboatsapparel.com.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by AreTheyBiting View Post
    That's intersting because when I go there I get this:

This store is currently closed

Thank you for shopping with Triton Gear! Unfortunately, our store has officially closed.

For returns/refunds please contact cs@tritonboatsapparel.com.
    Think you might have the wrong web address
    https://tritonboatsgear.com/
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast