Why do some combine Helix and Solix units?

I've seen multiple people post pics of using a Helix and Solix at the bow and a Helix and Solix at the console. Some are pro fishermen. I'm looking to upgrade at least 1 of my Helix graphs in order to get a Mega 360 and I had looked at possibly upgrading 2 units to Solix's. I realize that Solix units won't talk to Helix units other than for waypoints. Just curious if anyone knew why people combine units? Maybe some are just poor people like me who can't afford to upgrade all 4 graphs at 1 time....but pro's kinda have me scratching my head...

2. Member
    I'm not a good guesser but would guess primarily cost. If you're using a second unit primarily for mapping, then why spend the added cost when all you need to share is waypoints. Sort of like buying a CHO model when you don't need a transducer.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    I'm not a good guesser but would guess primarily cost. If you're using a second unit primarily for mapping, then why spend the added cost when all you need to share is waypoints. Sort of like buying a CHO model when you don't need a transducer.
    The more power required by SOLIX units would also make a difference.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    I have a Solix at the console and a helix at the bow the helix is just for the Ultrex mega DI transducer. Everyone does not link there units

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I'm a Solix biggot but have seen people say that the Helix is better if dedicating to Mega 360. Apparently more of the screen is available for the 360 image on Helix so, with the same screen size on Helix and Solix, the Mega 360 image will be larger on the Helix. Also, the Helix let's you change the screen split percentage so you can, again, get a larger split Mega 360 image on Helix than you do on Solix. This is primarily due to the very useful toolbars across the top and left on the Solix. I love them but they do cut down a bit on useable screen space.

Bottom line, some may have Helix dedicated to Mega 360 but prefer the Solix for the main unit.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    Yeah I definitely get that...I'm in that process as is most of us recreational fishers... But the pro's are in a whole different boat so it kinda made me wonder

7. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Different points that I hadn't considered. Is there any downside to having both sets of graphs?
    I'm looking to have a Solix and Helix at the console for SI and mapping and Solix and Helix on the bow for 360 and SI/DI. I'm running lithium so power isn't an issue with the Solix's. My son fishes from the back and it would be nice to share the 360 view to the console unit for him. I may just add another Helix (need to get a newer model in order to run the M360 I've ordered) and then I have no issue with all 4units then being Helix units...

Quote Originally Posted by NCbound3 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Different points that I hadn't considered. Is there any downside to having both sets of graphs?
    I'm looking to have a Solix and Helix at the console for SI and mapping and Solix and Helix on the bow for 360 and SI/DI. I'm running lithium so power isn't an issue with the Solix's. My son fishes from the back and it would be nice to share the 360 view to the console unit for him. I may just add another Helix (need to get a newer model in order to run the M360 I've ordered) and then I have no issue with all 4units then being Helix units...
    The only "downside" would be having to remember the two different menu systems.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    I have both Solix and Helix and wonder why they can't make the toolbars dissapear like on other electronics. Just need to swipe to make them appear when you need them.
    Last edited by catch1147; 01-19-2021 at 03:05 PM.

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCbound3 View Post
    Also be aware that having a Solix and a Helix you can only share Waypoints between them. If you have two Solix you can share more including map cards.

As Wayne mentioned, the menu systems are totally different and, if you don't use both on a regular basis, trying to find the setting you are looking for could be an issue.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catch1147 View Post
    I have both Solix and Helix and wonder why they can't make the toolbars dissaper like on other electronics. Just need to swipe to make them appear when you need them.
    Wow, that's a great suggestion and I hadn't really thought about it. That would definitely let you capture more valuable screen real estate when you aren't using the toolbars. Based on the fact that Humminbird still hasn't implemented the ability to change the split screen percentage (which has been around "forever" on the legacy line), I have a feeling that the Solix (and previously Onix) software they acquired must present significant issues in reprogramming for these kinds of changes. Having spent 42 years in IT, I can totally understand that some things that sound easy on the surface may be very difficult to implement.

With that said, I would LOVE to have the ability to hide the side and top toolbars.

12. Member
    Are you talking about the top 1/2" and the left side 3/4" or some other menu or tool bar?
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The only "downside" would be having to remember the two different menu systems.
    That, and if I go to Solix units....my wallet will be awful skinnier...

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I'm a Solix biggot
    hehehe, your killin me!

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Are you talking about the top 1/2" and the left side 3/4" or some other menu or tool bar?
    Yes, those 2 areas. Wayne P. posted Mega 360 comparison pictures from the same size Solix and Helix, with both Split Screen and full screen, and it was surprising what a difference it made... Especially using the screen split percentage to give more screen to the Mega 360.

I would still go with 2 Solix because I wouldn't want to have the 2 menu structures but it does give credence to those who have both.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 01-19-2021 at 05:31 PM.

16. Member
    you can uncheck the side bar option on chart/view options

17. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    you can uncheck the side bar option on chart/view options
    True, but then you don't have it at all. Would be nice as was mentioned earlier if you had the ability to "hide" it but then have it displayed with a quick finger swipe. I use it often so don't want to totally turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    True, but then you don't have it at all. Would be nice as was mentioned earlier if you had the ability to "hide" it but then have it displayed with a quick finger swipe. I use it often so don't want to totally turn it off.
    Lowrance has their side bar auto hide if you check that setting. Just touch the screen and it comes back. I didnt know that until last year Opened up some real estate. Would be nice for bird to implement it as well. Lowrance also offers way more screen adjustability as far as pane sizes and layout, one thing I'll miss.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

19. Member
    Sly, does that even show on sonar views? I see it does. Something I never use on sonar views

20. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Sly, does that even show on sonar views? I see it does. Something I never use on sonar views
    Yes, it is there for all views or not at all... Different than the Data Overlay which you can specify different information to be overlayed for different views. It's not an overlay. When it is there, the active view on the screen are shifted to the right. Again, it is a very valuable tool so I wouldn't want to turn it off.

One of my primary uses for it is to quickly change views as well as operate my Cannon Optimum Downriggers. When you Bluetooth pair the Cannon's with the Solix, a Cannon Icon is added to the left taskbar. Just touch the Cannon Icon and it opens up another sidebar where you can manage the downriggers. Once you are finished, you can close that second taskbar or you can "pin" it so that it stays active. Again, the views on the screen is shifted to the right again.