Thread: SML info

SML info

Son and I are doing some research for his tournament at SML in early March. We have some ideas of what we what to do and some areas to try. We have never been there.

Wondering if there are parts of the lake I shouldn't even mess with. Will be launching out of Parkway Marina. My initial plans are to practice in Craddock Creek and along main lake up past State park.
    Semper Fi

2. Member
    Good plan. My brother lives up there and we fish it often. In early March we like to throw DT 10s in Craw color around rocky banks, flats and boat docks. Shakey heads and drop shots are usually good for a few good bites. Try to find the shad and you'll find some bass. The stripers are biting really well right now. Pre spawn can be awesome on SML. Good Luck

3. Member
    Finding a lot of info about Blackwater. Will have to add that area to the practice list.
    Semper Fi

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Good luck!

5. Member
    Well HS SML tournament has been postponed. We have decided as long as the weather isn't too bad we will be going up March 5-7 anyway.
    Semper Fi

I hope the water starts to warm up by then. 41 right now at best.

7. Member
    How is the fishing in Late March/early April? My thoughts it should be good but I have never fished SML. I would like to take my girls (4 and 6) camping and they love getting on the boat and catching Bluegill. In WV late April early may I can find the BG beds and they wear them out. How about SML during in late March/early April, any gills to be found?

Quote Originally Posted by Erc1105 View Post
    How is the fishing in Late March/early April? My thoughts it should be good but I have never fished SML. I would like to take my girls (4 and 6) camping and they love getting on the boat and catching Bluegill. In WV late April early may I can find the BG beds and they wear them out. How about SML during in late March/early April, any gills to be found?
    I think that is a bit too early as the lake is big and deep enough that it can be a bit slow to warm. And I've not seen all that many 'gills here, most of the sunfish are green sunfish and while willing to eat they are on the small side and not worth eating either. Some others might chime in, note that the southern end of the lake can tend to be warmer than the steeper portions up north. By mid to late-April I think you'd be in good shape though. You can find some nice crappie in SML.

9. Member
    If you have Facebook, check out the Smith Mountain Bass Fishing page. Of course you want find out everything but you would be amazed at the tournament weights recently, had one yesterday where the top 10 all had over 20 pounds! Or check out the bass cast.com for Smith Mountain tournament updates
    Last edited by Five-alive; 03-21-2021 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Update

A 28+ lb. bag was weighed in on March 21st by a team on the CATT trail and there were three 8+ lb. largemouths weighed in - really amazing. And I have no idea how or where these fish are being caught because it ain't me.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    A 28+ lb. bag was weighed in on March 21st by a team on the CATT trail and there were three 8+ lb. largemouths weighed in - really amazing. And I have no idea how or where these fish are being caught because it ain't me.
    A-Rig fish

I refuse to throw an A-rig but I am reconsidering my position.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway