Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA ABA MILITARY TEAM BASS TOURNAMENTENT

2021 Miltary Team Bass Tournament is May 2-8, 2021 Santee Cooper; Ramp: Black’s Fish Camp

We have two teams playing year.. should be fun!

Hope to see you all there!
    Last edited by CigarBasser; 04-24-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Deleted cabin location
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

2. Member
    I'll be there. Have a house rented, just haven't registered yet.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

We have 8 regulars staying together in a house. Should be fun!!
    09 20x3 w/Merc 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Just a heads up, they changed the launch ramp to Black's Camp down on Moultrie.

5. Member
    That ramp may hold 25 boats without someone getting their fenders knocked off.... Doesn't feel like ABA is wanting to keep the tournament going by how this one is being handled. Just my opinion and I am sure I will get blasted but that's ok.

6. Member
    That's interesting... I've never been to SC before, so not sure what to expect besides hitting a stump in the middle of nowhere. Plus I was kind of bummed of having to cancel my VRBO near the other ramp I've only been attended 3 of these tournaments, Eufaula, Hartwell, and Old Hickory and thought each tournament was ran pretty well.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dc'sZ521 View Post
    That ramp may hold 25 boats without someone getting their fenders knocked off.... Doesn't feel like ABA is wanting to keep the tournament going by how this one is being handled. Just my opinion and I am sure I will get blasted but that's ok.
    DC's comment is absolutly correct. I was on Santee this past weekend, when the notice of the ramp change came down. In an attempt to see what the ramp was like and drive around to see the water conditions and such. There was a tournament going out on Saturday and we counted 27 trucks with boat trailers attached and there was no where to park unless you wanted to park in the ditch along the road, and I don't mean the road shoulder beside the ditch, I seriously mean the ditch. We asked the person inside the store where the ramp fees are collected and he said he could handle 200 boats. I'm telling you that there is absolutely no way this area can handle more than the 27 trucks/trailers we counted. I have a feeling that the ABA called the ramp manager and he told them the same lie he told us of it being able to handle 200. The ramp is only big enough to launch 1 boat at a time. The only way this place could handle 200 boats is they wuld have to clear out the RV parking area, which was where some of the 27 truck/trailers were already parked. It's going to be crazy stupid there both on the ramp and when parking.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

8. Member
    I just would like to know why they had to change ramps. I thought that there might have been a scheduling conflict, but don't see any other big tournaments going on in that area during that week. Oh well, I'm sure it will be a circus.

9. Member
    Scheduling conflicts only happen when things aren't done in advance, last minute planning means you have to take what's available. Even if the camper space is open for parking I can see that causing issues with people being blocked in and not to mention if someone has to leave due to an emergency. I am sure the local anglers are just gonna love this also!!

10. Member
    My understanding is that the ramp change was due to Covid restrictions, and not being allowed to hold the weigh-in at or near the ramp property.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

Well guys, I will tell you what my partner was told when he called HQ to ascertain the reason for the change. He was told....and I quote, "The host city didn't think John C. Land could accommodate a tourney as large as this." I call complete BS on this one. Pretty sure BASS used the same facility when they were. I believe the ABA staff waited too long to find lodging and made the change themselves to accommodate them. As it is now the group I'm staying with will have to drive an hour one way......that is, if we decide to fish. Seems this tourney gets worse and worse every year.

Pretty sure the same restrictions were in place when BASS was there.

dc'sZ521.....who cares if you get blasted!? What's the worse that can happen??? They ban us from the tournament?? I have fished this tourney for over 20 years and it just gets worse.....going from one shitty lake to another. I doubt very seriously the answer given my partner is the truth. To go from a launch site with 6 lanes and plenty of parking to a one lane ramp with no parking is completely asinine.

14. Member
    They should just rotate the tournament between Hartwell, Eufaula, Old Hickory, or even try Lake Norman.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retafsp View Post
    dc'sZ521.....who cares if you get blasted!? What's the worse that can happen??? They ban us from the tournament?? I have fished this tourney for over 20 years and it just gets worse.....going from one shitty lake to another. I doubt very seriously the answer given my partner is the truth. To go from a launch site with 6 lanes and plenty of parking to a one lane ramp with no parking is completely asinine.

Oh I am not worried but I know how some people get a little excited. I agree that this was due to last minute planning. I have fished them since Offutt AFB was running them. Its a shame we are little over a month and a half away and only 57 boats signed up...

dc'sZ521....I have been fishing it since Offutt ran it as well. I think the entry numbers may go up a little....but not very much. Seems to me that here lately the ABA really doesn't care about this tourney based on the locations they've been selecting. Anybody wonder why we haven't been to Guntersville in over 10 yrs??? Maybe go to Toledo Bend or back to Toho....anywhere but some of the crappy places we've been in the past few years. Hell, I'd happy to go back to Hartwell!!

Happy to see Santee Cooper.. disappointed to see Ramp change.. Overall, Just glad it’s not Eufaula over and over.. I would love to see a great smallmouth lake if I had a choice..

18. Member
    If the ramp location was changed to supposedly not being able to handle a tournament this large they are in for a surprise because the BFL is launching from the original location. I think they will have a little better turn out than the DOD. Retafsp.. you are correct, I think the numbers will go up but will be surprised if we break 75 this year. I would love to see the locations change also or go back to the way Offutt ran it and have a rotation of lakes, at least you knew where you were going and could make plans in advance. I'd enjoy traveling to some new locations and even some up north. ABA doesn't seem interested in coming to the central US.. when they did (Red River) some anglers cried and complained and basically got it changed. Only time I have ever seen a tournament location changed was due to safety concerns. We definitely need some new lakes!!!

Is there a platform to express our thoughts that would be heard as a group?

20. Member
    I'm not sure if ABA still has their message board or not. If not, maybe we can have the discussion at the rules meeting the night before the tournament.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast