Thread: Fly Reel Setup

Fly Reel Setup

I have a 4-5 weight fly reel laying around I would to try for ice fishing this year. It is loaded with wff fly line and standard backing. Looking for suggestions on how to set one up for panfish. Heading to the tackle shop tomorrow for supplies.

2. Member
    On mine I just have 75yd of 2lb flouro tied to 200yd of 20lb dacron backing, works fine.

If you plan to reuse that fly reel on a fly rod just use a spare spool to take off the WF-F line and spool on the flouro, just keep the flouro spool for when you switch back to the WF-F line.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

3. Member
    All of mine have standard cheapo fly backing on them, with 2/3/4 lb test tied direct to the fly backing. With your WFF fly line on there, just tie the mono or fluoro on the end just like a tippet and spool up 50 yards or so. You'll never use that much fishing panfish but just in case you hook into something bigger you have plenty of line to try to play them out against the odds.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info! Picked up some 2lb Floro today and I am happy to hear I can leave the fly line on there, that will make quick work of getting on the ice!

5. Member
    That's true, I guess there is no reason to take the fly line off, you won't get into it anyway.

But thinking about it, if your fly line has a welded loop, how would you attach the flouro? Can't just tie a perfection loop and attach because the loop in the fly line won't be big enough to pass the spool through. Unless you cut the loop off and use a surgeons knot or something similar to attach the flouro. On my actual fly reels I have a large perfection loop in the backing allowing me to pass the entire spool through the loop when changing lines.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder