Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1991 champion 200hp hard to steer

I have a Champion 190DC with a 200 HP. It is real hard to steer at speed over 40mph. I would like to find a way to make it easy to steer. it is dual cable system now.

2. Banned

3. Banned
    Easy to steer at slower speed and just hard above 40? If that's the case it's a setup issue. If your steering is stiff all the time it's a cable issue highly recommend replacement easy to do.

4. Member
    91 probably has an adjustable steering tab that needs to be turned a little

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Easy to steer at slower speed and just hard above 40? If that's the case it's a setup issue. If your steering is stiff all the time it's a cable issue highly recommend replacement easy to do.
    What he said

6. Member
    you need a torque tab on the lower skeg mounted on right side to offset prop torque. T&H & Bobs Machine sell them.

7. Member
    I have a trim tab on it. If its hard to turn left where should the trim tab be ?

8. Member
    Thanks everyone for the imput

Quote Originally Posted by jimsurf View Post
    I have a trim tab on it. If its hard to turn left where should the trim tab be ?
    Looking at it from the rear, the tab should be turned as far right as possible. People tend to do the opposite.

P01135809

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsurf View Post
    The factory trim tab has little to no effect on the motor torque at 40+ M P H.

Has it always been this way or something that just started ?

12. Banned
    Again is it only hard to steer above 40 mph? If so your motor height is off trim tabs won't fix it. If speed/trim causes the issue i would suggest making a post on the Champion form and let Pat tell you what needs to be done.

13. Member
    If it's only at speeds it's an indication you motor may be too high. As suggested above. Post in the Champ forum and you can get more specific help.
    GETFISHED !!!

14. Member
    Thanks to all who replied

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    The factory trim tab has little to no effect on the motor torque at 40+ M P H.
    If the trim tab is having no effect at 40+, I bet my retirement account the motor is too high. This is a 1991 Champion with a 200 and a prop small enough to have a trim tab, it is not an Allison running a surfacing prop.

P01135809

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    If the trim tab is having no effect at 40+, I bet my retirement account the motor is too high. This is a 1991 Champion with a 200 and a prop small enough to have a trim tab, it is not an Allison running a surfacing prop.
    Might want to do some research before going that far.. In the first place you've already lost---I doubt this boat even has a trim tab.

17. Member
    The OP states it does have a trim tab fyi.
    I always thought you wanted the trim tab mostly straight. Thats how all my boats have been.

Trim tabs are mounted on the transom and used to trim the boat. There is a torque tab on the LU that can be used to compensate for torque steer. Had a 92 201 Champ with 225 and a three blade would create more torque steer than a four blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    Trim tabs are mounted on the transom and used to trim the boat. There is a torque tab on the LU that can be used to compensate for torque steer. Had a 92 201 Champ with 225 and a three blade would create more torque steer than a four blade.
    Trim tab.JPG

P01135809

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast