Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prop baits, devil's horse,boy howdy, let's chat!!

Thanks to getting drunk and going to the swap and sale board, I now have some prop baits. Only other ones I ever used was a Gilmore jumper. Tips, tricks ec. Replace hooks?? Rods, line etc.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

2. Fishing is a Passion
    I am a devils horse man. I work this bait very slow. Around wood mostly, Pitch and let it sit, blades will move on there own. If the fish are in the area, a small twitch that moves the bait quickly will usually generate a bit. Time of year varies, usually when the water is cooling, good luck.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    Tiny Torpedo is a sleeper for sure ! A certain condition it will get r done . And yes im keeping that situation to myself , lol
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

4. Member
    Devil’s Horse all the way.. There’s a mod you can do to the front hook hanger that will make it sit level on top of the water instead of the normal slight tail low position.. Makes it much better fishing over grass.. I think it makes it a little more subtle also.. Important around the spawn to get those big females to commit to eating it.. I think you can find the Devil’s Horse mod on YouTube with Terry Scroggins ..

Also I suggest taking off the stock hooks and adding split rings and upgraded hooks

5. Member
    Most of the Torpedo family is money. Change the hooks like any heddon product. Baby torpedo is a bait I put on for shits and giggles when taking Smallmouth in rivers
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Member
    Add the Heddon Dying Flutter. It's slightly shorter than the Devil's Horse, and plastic. My favorite prop bait.

7. Member
    I've still got an old Mirrolure prop bait in the top water box. It was a salt water twitch bait that some of our fishing buddies on Ouachita turned us on to. Had to mail order them out of Florida back in the day. Haven't thrown it in many, many years. It will get a workout again this year.
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

8. Member
    I got a small mirrolure prop bait too. Thanks for the tips. My only prop bait experience is on the great lakes with big smallmouth, Gilmore jumper. Gonna check out the hooks also.

9. Member
    Been using a clear Torpedo for years. Change the hooks out, at times it’s pure money.

10. Member
    Devils Horse is a great bait. Dont limit it to fishing slow. I have caught fish burning it.

11. Member
    Rapala X-Rap prop is not bad also !

12. Member
    Its not really in the same category as the double prop baits y`all are talking about but my favorite is the 5' spinnertail Bangolure.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
    Its not really in the same category as the double prop baits y`all are talking about but my favorite is the 5' spinnertail Bangolure.
    I like me some bangolures. Used a devils horse a lot years ago too. The old rapalas & a c shiners would flat smoke some fish in the 80s too. I think i'm going to break mine back out this year.

14. Member
    Les, I hear ya. I dug out some old floating rapalas and threw them in with my floating rogues. Gonna have an old spinning rod setup just for those. judging by the teeth marks on one firetiger rapala, I caught a bunch on it. I plan on doing some wading this year and the props and rogues/rapalas will be my goto.

15. Member

16. Member
    I always have a devils horse ready to go.

Wood chopper......

18. Member
    I fished a devil's horse like most folks fish a whopper plopper. I would cast it out and wait until the ripples settled then just reel it at a pretty quick pace. Sometimes I'd pause it but mostly just reel it back.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That boy howdy is a lethal lure! I’m a walking bait guy but I have a friend that uses that boy howdy and it’s deadly! I like the torpedo, but changing hooks (which is a must) kinda stinks because you have to unscrew the hook holders because there are no o rings. I will take my topwaters like that apart, drop a dab of glue in the hole and screw it back in and make sure they’re lined up.

I like to add the o rings and the treble of choice. Fish throw those lures more often because the hook binds, so adding the o ring is a must to me. Usually a size 2.

Since in a Floridian I go to the saltwater section and grab a floating mir o lure and change the saltwater stuff to bass friendly hooks and they’re great. They’re cheap but can handle much more than a bass can dish out! They’re really good for schooling fish, ultra clear water, and fishing a little slower. For some reason the mir o lures always seem to shine in those 3 conditions. It gets hit while sitting still more than any other topwater I have.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Dalton Special, if you can find one. One prop, on the back. I thought about getting a Devil's Horse and adding ballast to make it a Spybait.

OBTW, you often see guys twisting the prop blades to add pitch, and saying that'll make it spin faster. Wrong! It'll make it spin slower.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast