Time to learn Oak Hollow...

It's a new year, going to learn a new lake. Oak Hollow is not a bad drive for me.

Is Oak Hollow Marina the only ramp out there?

Thanks for any info.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

2. Fishing is a Passion
    Yes, only ramp for public access. Very nice Hybrid Stripers
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Banned
    Ditto on the nice hybrids. I catch a bunch of them this time of year vertical jigging a blade or spoon. Just look for schools of bait over schools of fish. It is hit or miss, but when they are biting, it's on. If I can catch them, anyone can.

My rule of thumb (for LM) for Oak Hollow and City Lake in Jamestown is go looking for 5 bites and hope one is a big one. They both have large fish and my PB came from Oak Hollow. If you enjoy fishing pine deadfalls they are the place for you. Besides the pine trees, Oak Hollow also has lots of rock and some stumps in places. Water is almost always stained and much more than 2.5 ft of visibility is rare. I love Oak Hollow from late February till May. When it gets hot I suck at catching out there. It gets good again when the water hits the low 60's in the fall.

I'm sure there are probably better places to fish but it is convenient for me and I keep going back because of the big fish potential. It has been called the dead sea by more than one person so temper you expectations until you get some time on the water and learn a few things.
    Last edited by BleedingBlue; 01-19-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

5. Member
    Thanks, I have been doing nothing but catching spots out of Belews, while fun, I want some bigger bites, I don't mind a slow day hunting some bigger fish. I'll look for those rocks you speak of.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

your making me bring back great memory's . Joe Sechrest and i finished 2nd in my 1st bass tournament outside of club events in 1978. I use to work at Piedmont Ford which was just down the road from the lake fished it weekends and thru the week. It one of the 1st lake that the state stocked the hybrids in. We had a lot of great summer holes, there were a couple orchards before the lake was filled. bass would suspend in the tree tops and as the ski boats would pass over them we would cast right behind the boats wake and catch bass every cast.
    My personal best bass came from Jamestown city lake in February 1979 caught a 8.14 and a 6 lber on back to back cast with a model 7A bomber crankbait
    wouldn't mind taking a day trip back there again.
    Last edited by Frank A; 01-19-2021 at 09:30 PM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet20vee1 View Post
    Ditto on the nice hybrids. I catch a bunch of them this time of year vertical jigging a blade or spoon. Just look for schools of bait over schools of fish. It is hit or miss, but when they are biting, it's on. If I can catch them, anyone can.
    Are big are the hybrids?

8. Banned
    I have caught 2 over 22" there in the last 5 years. I put them back to catch again most of the time. I have only kept about 8 hybrids in the last 10 years, only when they inhale a treble deep into their gills. Some days we have caught 50+ in a couple of hours when you get on them in a feeding frenzy. Most of the time they are in the 14- 18 inch range, but they fight like crazy.

Anything you would need to know about the ramp? Is there a fee, do they have certain hours?

10. Member
    8 am - 445 pm and a $7 daily fee. There is a wildcat there when it's warmer that runs 6-9 pm I was told on Thursdays.

I went yesterday and the water was 42 - 45 degrees by end of day. Looked around a lot and found some things. Caught a 4 pounder with a spinnerbait on a windy bank, south facing shore.

Saw a TON of bait with some hybrids mixed in, 24-27 feet deep. Tried catching some but they didnt seem to active, not schooled and pushing bait.
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7