2007 300xs help please

1E002730 25” shaft 285 hrs

1. hooked a tech mate to engine to scan while running. Curious, engine has 2 water temp sensors, I can see both on techmate, but don’t see both on smartcraft MFD. Is one temp reading enough?

2. planning to pull fuel rails to replace thermostats, as well as have injectors cleaned, and replace diaphragms. Pulling the hoses, so should I replace all o-rings? Will the VST be okay dry for a bit while I get all this work done?

3. I’ve got 4 group 31 North Star batteries, 1000 cranking amps, stays on a maint. Charger. Port motor turns over fine, but starboard cranked for awhile and seemed weak, even combining batteries. Hooked a booster box direct to starter and it popped right off🤦🏼*♂️
    let run a few minutes, turned off, let sit a few minutes and then cranked and ran no issues, no jump box needed.
    Should I suspect a weak and/or dragging starter? Advice on things I could check?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    1. Smartcraft is a "Smart Average" (normally weights to the Stb temp more as it's higher and warmer in most circumstances).

2. BEFORE YOU START PULLING HOSES- make sure you know if that's what you're supposed to do. I know that I want ALL (every single) hose still attached and included with the rails. DON'T replace diaphragms unless they need to be replaced, especially the Regulator Diaphragms (calibration needs to be checked if you do).

3. Cables, connections or starter (or triangular stop on the starter).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Not familiar with triangle stops, what do they do and not sure what I’m looking for.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 288sunny View Post
    Not familiar with triangle stops, what do they do and not sure what I’m looking for.
    Think he means the rubber bump stop between starter and block.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    yep, eliminates wear between starter and block when starter slightly moves under load of torque
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    So if the rubber is not positioned correctly it puts address load on the starter? While possible, this would be odd, as my issue is, jump box needed to start if I let sit awhile, but once I get it running, I can start and stop and it will
    restart on a single battery.

7. Member
    you could easily swap starters and or batteries to find that problem id bet on batt
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

And in regards to the rubber "bump stop"- if it is worn, missing, OR the starter is installed with it oriented "other than designed", the starter may drag and consume considerably more amperage than would normally be the case.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Excellent info, might be worth looking into starters. Need to compare its install/position to other motor.

10. Member
    Are the rubber parts your mentioning, do they go on the top and bottom of the starter that the horseshoe clamps go around? If so, is there only one way they can go? Not familiar with these and just want to ensure I understand what I’m looking at. Thank you

11. Member
    notice the v shaped part of the upper starter housing that protrudes off of it thats where these are , hard to see if starter not removed

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images