Updating trolling motor, do you keep the old one as spare

I will be updating my trolling motor this month with spot/anchor lock and I am curious to see what the masses have down with there old ones. This is not meant to be brand specific as I know all of them have had issues. I would imagine with new technology it may be in the shop longer for a repair if needed. Deciding if I should hang on to the maxxum as a spare or sell it. I am just trying to get a feel for what the general boater does.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

I replaced shaft bearings and pivot bushings once I took it off the boat and sold it on facebook marketplace. I wanted to make sure it would last for the next person
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

I was going to keep mine for a spare in case. My buddy was in need of one so I gave it to him. Hopefully I don't need a backup.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

4. Member
    I would sell my Digital Tour 109 if I could find a buyer. I listed it a while back but it's still here. I'm a pack rat so I guess I won't be giving it away.
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    Seeing foretrex go for $500 I kept mine. Came in handy when the board went out on ultrex. Just popped it on and reattached transducers. Minnkota was great. Fixed quickly locally but was nice to have a backup. Seeing you have a Maxxum which isn’t as easy of a swap I’d consider selling.

I kept a spare in the boat when I was fishing away from home multi days. The motors have gotten so reliable I don’t keep a spare any longer.

7. Member
    I kept mine for two years before getting rid of it. All depends on how you feel and what makes you feel the best.

8. Member
    I've always kept a spare in the rafters no matter which motor I had on the boat. Never have needed it, but I know the time I'd sell it I would. I don't want to be unable to get on the water should a longer than normal repair come up!

9. Member
    I update two and just gave both away. Both worked fine I just wanted the space they were taking up.

10. Member
    Just upgraded and sold my old one
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke