2006 Optimax 225 revving up in Neutral

2006 Optimax 225 serial # 1B275156.
    After running on plane, boat runs fine, idles fine, but when put in Neutral revves up to where I shouldn't put it in gear. Doesn't do it every time, shutting the engine off and back on usually fixes it. I checked the hot foot, and cable, and did not notice anything off. Other threads seem to point to the TPS sensor, why would it only act weird in Neutral? Would love some thoughts, and help getting the correct part numbers.
    Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make certain that the throttle cable is returning the black throttle arm firmly back against it's stop EVERY time you return to idle.

If it is, there is a decent possibility that the TPS is the culprit, based on your above descriptions.

I would recommend the TPS, Lever, and cover ALL at the same time (they all wear).

See Rhonda's post (pinned at the top of the Forum)- she can set you up with the items you will need, either through website ordering (use serial number) OR by email.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Everything visually returns to a consistent spot. See pic to make sure I'm watching the correct place. The metal throttle lever also returns to the stop. Just out of curiosity, could less frequent use cause the TPS to fail like this? I used to put a lot of hours on, but the last 2 years has been much less.
    I' will email Rhonda, Thanks.
    IMG_7563.jpg

4. Member
    Could your shift cable be going bad or out of adjustment? Are you able to shift smoothly, or are you getting more resistance than the norm? I had something similar happening to my 2004 200 Opti and that was my issue. Replaced cables, adjusted them properly, and problem solved.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Image in Post# 3 does indeed have the idle stop circled.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    So I decided to run it one more time after changing oil, and put in new spark plugs, gapped and indexed properly (don’t think my last ones were). The high idle in neutral did not occur... could those be related? Or is it more likely just an intermittent issue that just didn’t happen this time?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by machekfishing View Post
    So I decided to run it one more time after changing oil, and put in new spark plugs, gapped and indexed properly (don’t think my last ones were).
    Mercury plugs don't need to be indexed, that's an evinrude thing.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Member
    +1^^^^^^/ possible heat related TPS problem see #2 above
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................