Question Dual Pro Battery Charger Voltage Algorithm - Charging LiFePO4 Batteries???

I have a circa 2016 manufactured Dual Pro Professional Series 2 Bank (15 amp each bank) charger. Dual Pro says this model is too old to retrofit with a Lithium Battery algorithm profile (needs to be 2018 or newer).

The lithium battery manufacturer is telling me the Dual Pro will be fine for charging their batteries, but they relate that it won't charge the batteries to 100%, but closer to 90-95%. This is assuming the Dual Pro is set for AGM batteries. There is no switch on the unit itself, but I have been using it to charge AGM batteries for 4 years with no issues.

At any rate, does anyone know the algorithm for Dual Pro Professional Series chargers? I have read they can peak at 16 volts, but not sure if that will damage a lithium battery. The lithium batteries do have a BMS, but unsure if it will mitigate any battery charger issues. If I understand correctly, the LiFePO4 batteries like to stay at 14.4 max charge.

If anyone can shed light on this, I would be most appreciative.

dh
    Last edited by darleyhavidson; 01-18-2021 at 08:38 AM.

2. Member
    There has been issues with some DP's and Some Lithium batteries. DP wants to sell new units as does the battery people to sell their products. Were you talking to the battery Mfr. or a dealer? Did they ask you what exact model charger you have? If you used specifics with both you should have 2 answers that are the same. DP has been honest with me and sounds that way from other people. However the battery warranty is primarily the main concern. Better contact both again and make sure. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    There has been issues with some DP's and Some Lithium batteries. DP wants to sell new units as does the battery people to sell their products. Were you talking to the battery Mfr. or a dealer? Did they ask you what exact model charger you have? If you used specifics with both you should have 2 answers that are the same. DP has been honest with me and sounds that way from other people. However the battery warranty is primarily the main concern. Better contact both again and make sure. Bob
    I talked to the battery manufacturer, they were adamant the Dual Pro battery charger with an AGM profile would work. I agree DP has been direct and honest with me as well, they did not try to sell me anything, just told me what they could and couldn't do.

But talk is cheap, and I would rather have a testimonial or two from folks that have actually charged lithium batteries with non-lithium profile chargers.

dh

4. Member
    I use a Minn Kota 460PC.(15 amps per) It is set on Agm. It charges to approx 98%.(I have Relion 100Ah) Over 90% is fine unless you are constantly flurting with running out of power. That is actually less stress on the batteries. That is not however a DP. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I use a Minn Kota 460PC.(15 amps per) It is set on Agm. It charges to approx 98%.(I have Relion 100Ah) Over 90% is fine unless you are constantly flurting with running out of power. That is actually less stress on the batteries. That is not however a DP. Bob
    Good stuff. Thanks for the information.

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    At any rate, does anyone know the algorithm for Dual Pro Professional Series chargers?
    Yes. What specific question do you have about the algorithm?

Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Yes. What specific question do you have about the algorithm?
    Basically, is the Dual Pro AGM algorithm compatible with Lithium batteries?

8. Banned
    I use mine kota pc charger for my lithium’s on AGM setting and it charges them to 100% every time.

9. Member
    darley PM Sent

10. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by darleyhavidson View Post
    Basically, is the Dual Pro AGM algorithm compatible with Lithium batteries?

The Lithium Ion battery makers would first need to define what charging characteristics they consider are not compatible. So far all we have only seen optimal charging spec and not seen much other information disclosed from most of the Lithium Ion battery makers.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 01-19-2021 at 11:38 PM.

When I ordered Battle Born LiFePO4 batteries, I also ordered a Dual Pro with them so they would be completely compatible. Battle Born shipped the batteries and had Dual Pro ship the charger to match.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    Just remember there is a difference in "yes it will work" and " yes it will work so the batteries perform at their best".