GLS-10 power supply

Has anyone tried wiring the GLS-10 box to the trolling motor batteries using 2 batteries (24V) of a 36V system? It has around a 30V Max if I understand correctly. Direct wires ran from 2 batteries in series with a dedicated circuit for GLS-10. How was your picture and trolling motor interference? This box is not like a traditional unit and likes the voltage kept high. If it deals well with noise this may be an option to keep from cranking battery drain and it wouldn’t be any different to the trolling motor batteries than running a 12/24 system on 12 for a period of time discharging one battery. Switch in battery compartment (turn off for battery charging) and switch at bow to turn off when not in use or moving between spots.
    Last edited by Cfrench085; 01-17-2021 at 09:19 PM.

I believe it was RMP that did a YouTube video on this. They concluded running 24/26v is no different than 12v. They speculate that if your wiring and or battery is not good enough maybe runnin more volts to the box would help. Make sure you do not try more than 12v on the display unit.

also I would not run the gls10 box off the trolling batteries, that sounds terrible and without doubt will find so rf interference
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Saw the same RMP video. I’m mainly worried about cranking battery drawdown though compared to drawing off 2 batteries that would never run down. Also keeping the voltage up all around for other units. Rf interference is my main concern too but just wondering if anyone has tried it with the box.

I run 4 screens and gls10, two separate livewells for 8 hour tournaments, I don't have big lakes so I don't get to run around and this is no issue going on 3 years with a batteries plus x2 31 agm. I had consistently questioned people claims to how good this battery was, my new faith in this battery is last week it was 30* and had been below freezing for two months of storage and my optimax started better than it used to with a lesser battery in 70* that had run yesterday, if you know what I mean. Just put the dash units on standby or only use 1 if your not actively hunting on si.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I run 4 screens and gls10, two separate livewells for 8 hour tournaments, I don't have big lakes so I don't get to run around and this is no issue going on 3 years with a batteries plus x2 31 agm. I had consistently questioned people claims to how good this battery was, my new faith in this battery is last week it was 30* and had been below freezing for two months of storage and my optimax started better than it used to with a lesser battery in 70* that had run yesterday, if you know what I mean. Just put the dash units on standby or only use 1 if your not actively hunting on si.
    And I’m likely going to get that exact battery as well. Been looking at it. I have not hooked all this up yet but do know it’ll draw a bunch. I have heard reports of what I’m talking about working exceptionally well with lithium batteries and would like to hear if anyone has tried it with lead acid batteries.

If this section doesn't get much more traffic I'd probably go to the trolling motors/electrical section there are plenty of people who will blow that up. Also in the Mercury 3.0 forum at the top in the stickys there is a batteries that meet the requirement post. Will spread out battery options but a few are the same or better than the x2

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If this section doesn't get much more traffic I'd probably go to the trolling motors/electrical section there are plenty of people who will blow that up. Also in the Mercury 3.0 forum at the top in the stickys there is a batteries that meet the requirement post. Will spread out battery options but a few are the same or better than the x2
    And the group that hasn’t specifically tried it is what I’d like to avoid. I’d assume the same myself with regard to rf and any other depth finder. I do have a reliable source that is currently using it this way with perfect clarity with lithium batteries. I would like to see if anyone has done so with lead acid. Thanks.

8. Member
    I have ran my GLS10 from my 24V traditional trolling motor batteries and had no issues or interference. I tried this because my main cranking battery (Group 24) was not keeping up. I've since switched my finder electronics to a dedicated 12V lithium and will never go back ;). FWIW, the GLS10 does not care about volts, it cares about amps. Feed it the proper amps, regardless of volts and it will treat you well.

In your situation however, I would not recommend what you are attempting as you will drain 2 of your 3 batteries unevenly and that is not a good condition. While I have not witnessed it happen, I have read that draining batteries in series unevenly will not only decrease overall life, it could create excessive heat and we all know that can lead to bad things!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
    I have ran my GLS10 from my 24V traditional trolling motor batteries and had no issues or interference. I tried this because my main cranking battery (Group 24) was not keeping up. I've since switched my finder electronics to a dedicated 12V lithium and will never go back ;). FWIW, the GLS10 does not care about volts, it cares about amps. Feed it the proper amps, regardless of volts and it will treat you well.

In your situation however, I would not recommend what you are attempting as you will drain 2 of your 3 batteries unevenly and that is not a good condition. While I have not witnessed it happen, I have read that draining batteries in series unevenly will not only decrease overall life, it could create excessive heat and we all know that can lead to bad things!
    Thank You. I’m concerned about that as well. I have used a 12/24 motor on the 12v setting before for an extended period trying to move slower without issue. I know it is definitely possible to have an issue though.

10. Member

Thank You. I’m concerned about that as well. I have used a 12/24 motor on the 12v setting before for an extended period trying to move slower without issue. I know it is definitely possible to have an issue though.

11. Member

this guy does not have a clue about electronics. If it does not care about voltage, Feed it with a 5V 1000Ah and see how well it runs... lmao

Just get a lithium and you will never have to worry about it again.