Boot up Unit from a Chip?

I was wondering if anyone has software to boot-up an Onix 10 from the chip instead of from the software on the unit? I tried to update the software on my Onix 10 and I was successful moving from version 2.700 to v3.00. But when I went from v3.00 to v3.040, the unit locked up. I get the following warning message and I can't get out of it.

Warning! This unit has encountered an error that requires all settings, preferences, sonar subscriptions, and network configurations to be reset. Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks will not be deleted. This unit will now restart.

I tried calling HB and they want $900 to fix the problem. I can understand if the unit was broken, but I was just updating software! I just want to get it back to the default settings and I'm thinking I can do that if I can get it to boot from a chip instead of the corrupted software on the unit.

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    There is no "boot from SD card" process that I'm aware of.

I had a similar issue with the last Onix update bricking my 10 ci SI CrossTouch unit. Humminbird gave me the same price but were actually able to get the software reloaded so it was under $100, including return shipping. Call them back and see if they will try to update/reload the software before doing anything else. I think they have some other avenues for loading the software that consumers don't.

It would be worth the cost of shipping, even if they just return it to you if they can't fix the SW issue.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping for but they didn't want to budge off of the price. I'll try again tomorrow with the software reload angle.

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerfire View Post
    Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping for but they didn't want to budge off of the price. I'll try again tomorrow with the software reload angle.
    The reason it is typically so expensive is that they sometimes have to resort to sending you a new unit. In the case of the Onix, I'm not sure what they would do since the Onix has long been discontinued.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    I called today and unfortunately they will not budge from the $900 to service the unit. Even to reset the unit to factory settings. I was really disappointed. I'm really screwed now.

6. Member
    Have you tried booting the unit with everything but the power cord disconnected?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerfire View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has software to boot-up an Onix 10 from the chip instead of from the software on the unit? I tried to update the software on my Onix 10 and I was successful moving from version 2.700 to v3.00. But when I went from v3.00 to v3.040, the unit locked up. I get the following warning message and I can't get out of it.

Warning! This unit has encountered an error that requires all settings, preferences, sonar subscriptions, and network configurations to be reset. Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks will not be deleted. This unit will now restart.

I tried calling HB and they want $900 to fix the problem. I can understand if the unit was broken, but I was just updating software! I just want to get it back to the default settings and I'm thinking I can do that if I can get it to boot from a chip instead of the corrupted software on the unit.

7. Member
    I tried to boot the unit with only the power cord plugged in, but that didn't work either. I was hoping there would be some kind of reset button externally, but there doesn't seem to be. I could understand if the unit needed parts, but it's strictly a software issue. They are going to reboot it from a chip and set it back to factory setting. It doesn't seem like $900 is a fair price. If there is anything else to try, I will most certainly try it.

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Don't know if this works any more but there used to be a hard reset process. May be worth a try.

Hard Reset:
    1. Power on the unit
    2. When the Bird appears...
    3. Press and hold check mark, plus, and power

9. Member
    Just took my boat in today for some maintenance. When I get it back, I will be trying it! Thanks for all your help and I'll keep you posted.

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I still have my Onix 10 Cross Touch but planning to sell it in the near future. It's amazing what these things are still selling for.

11. Member
    Definitely a good unit. Never had problems with the unit, until the software update!

12. Member
    Don't know if this works any more but there used to be a hard reset process. May be worth a try.

Hard Reset:
    1. Power on the unit
    2. When the Bird appears...
    3. Press and hold check mark, plus, and power

I tried the hard reset, but that didn't do anything either. It still takes me to the WARNING screen and keeps me in that never ending loop of restarting the unit. I also tried a few other combinations of keys, but that didn't help either.

Anyone have any other ideas?