Thread: Ultrex problem

Ultrex problem

Prop won't spin. Head turns but prop won't. With the prop off, the prop shaft is difficult to turn by hand. It will rotate a little with some significant effort and then stick at which point it takes a lot more effort to turn and if I try rotating it the opposite direction it is extremely hard to turn. With the power on snd set to high continuous, if I try to rotate the shaft it will slip and start to turn for a few rotations and then bind up. Does this sound like water intrusion. I see no signs of water damage externally.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Water would be my first thought. Remove prop and loosen the bottom case bolt. If theres water inside it will trickle out.

It's my buddy's boat that he keeps at my place. I'm afraid to do anything that might void his warranty . But it does sound like something that will need to go in, right. I'm not overlooking something easy? The prop shaft should rotate easily... like any other TM. There's not some weird ultrex mojo that I don't know about, right?

From your description its trying to lock up. On a normal one you can turn the armature by hand without a prop on.
    I'd sure get it to an ASC. with that said I've had an ASC tell folks to loosen the bottom case bolt and see if water comes out. So that alone shouldn't hurt the warranty, just don't open the case. Good luck.

5. Member
    Before you hall it off the the ASC push the button on the foot pedal with the motor deployed. You should here a clicking noise in the foot pedal. It not then the reed switch may need to be adjusted under the push button. If you hear the clicking noise and nothing happens then it could be one of two problem. The main board or water intrusion. Water is easy to detect if you follow what is said above.

6. Member
    Sounds to me like the magnets broke loose from the housing and are stuck to the armature.

7. Member
    Shaft won’t turn, definite lower unit problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Before you hall it off the the ASC push the button on the foot pedal with the motor deployed. You should here a clicking noise in the foot pedal. It not then the reed switch may need to be adjusted under the push button. If you hear the clicking noise and nothing happens then it could be one of two problem. The main board or water intrusion. Water is easy to detect if you follow what is said above.
    I didn't notice a click when I press the momentary on. I'll check again. However, if it was a reed switch issue at the momentary on, shouldn't it run when the constant on is pressed. And doesn't the fact that the prop shaft won't easily and smoothly turn suggest the problem is in the the lower unit

I'm at work today but I'll check for water as recommended tomorrow. My buddy got an appointment with the ASC for Wednesday but it's not here in town. It's about two hours down the road.

And doesn't the fact that the prop shaft won't easily and smoothly turn suggest the problem is in the the lower unit
    Yes sir -- I figure Bradrodfish just missed that when reading your op I almost did the same thing.

Full of water...

thats sure what it sounded like. it could still be under warranty and it's a common issue.
    If out of warranty it's (normally) a fairly easy fix. All I did with mine was clean it up - emory cloth to the armature and a new seal kit..
    Good luck.

Yeah, the ASC is replacing it under warranty

Good deal .