Power Pole vs Raptor

There wasn't a ton of information available when I was considering buying another set of PP or giving the Raptors a try. So I wanted to share some details of my experience so far when considering switching. I will try to keep it mostly facts in the first part, and will share some of my opinions at the end.

- Had dual Sportsman II's since 2017 (CM2's).
    - Reason for new purchase: Decided to permanently move them to my work boat (was sharing them with my pontoon barge, so I had to switch them 4 times a year) .
    - Was considering upgrading to Blades, but was intrigued with what the new Raptors had to offer.
    - Ended up giving the new Raptors a try.
    - Currently working on installation

1) POLE COMPARISON: As some others have stated, Raptors are more comparable to Sportsman II or Pro Series in terms of general design and overall size. Raptors have bumpers for the spike when stowed. I had a lot of slapping on Sportsman II's in rough water, especially after they got some wear on them. The Raptors have a fully coated spike like the Blades. The Raptors weigh 25LB each (just the pole, dry). I did not weight my Sportsman II's cuz they are already mounted to my other boat, but I feel like they are pretty close.

2) POLE MOUNTING: The hole patterns are the same. I wasn't sure when I purchased, so I ended up buying the MK brackets. So I technically could have saved myself a chunk of money, but I'll live.

3) MOUNTING BRACKETS: I'm not totally disappointed that I bought the MK jackplate brackets. They are VERY sturdy. Much stiffer than the PP brackets I had (PKD-S-2-6-BLK). Not saying this to knock the PP brackets, they worked just fine. Just stating my observations. I see PP has newer "box" style brackets that are likely more sturdy and more expensive (closer to MK brackets). I don't know if the stiffer bracket is necessarily better. Poles are designed to have compliance, and the brackets were a part of that "suspension" effect. The stiffer brackets will transmit more of the torque to the poles, and probably induce more shock to the poles when running in rough water. But will they hold better with stiffer bracket? Will they wear faster? Time will tell.

4) PUMPS: The Raptor pumps are a lot heavier and bigger. Raptor = 13LB (dry, with bracket); PPCM2 = 7+LB (with oil and bracket). The Raptor pump mounting bracket is twice as thick, has an added brace, and has the exact same hole dimensions as the PP pump bracket. But to be fair, the Raptor bracket needs to be beefier to handle the extra weight of the pump, and I never had any issues with the PP setup. I do like the slotted pump mounting holes to make it easier to install in tight spaces. But I now have to reconfigure some stuff because the Raptor pumps don't fit in the space that I had my PPCM2 pumps. The Raptor pump bracket will mount right in to where I had the PPCM2's mounted, I just have to move my onboard charger to give more room for the oil tanks. Not the end of the world, just more work. MK also uses a real nice jacketed electrical cable on the pump that looks clean.
    IMG_1774[1].JPGIMG_1775[1].JPG

5) MOUNTING BRACKET SELECTION: If you are considering switching from an existing PP setup, and you do want to use the Raptor mounting brackets (I could not find any dimensional drawings to help me evaluate choosing 4" or 6" from MK); I was using the PKD-S-2-6-BLK brackets from Power Pole, and I had them bolted at the at the top of the slots. The 4" Raptor brackets put me at the same mounting height. But there is no adjustment in the Raptor brackets.
    IMG_1778[1].JPG

6) I have my hoses running through the top of the hull, and had originally used the PP grommets that came with the units. The Raptor grommets are exactly the same and the hoses fit in to the holes I originally drilled perfectly.
    IMG_1779[1].JPG

SOME OPINIONS:
    The Raptors seem pretty well made. Only time will tell how they hold up. I felt like I got my moneys worth out of the Sportsman II's. They did start to oval the holes on the frames at some of the joints. Probably my fault to some extent for not being better about replacing bushing kits. But I did regularly make sure the bolts were tight. Thats the only reason I didn't want to go with another set of Sportsman's. I know a lot of people with Blades and they definitely seem to hold up better, which is why I was prepared to spend the extra money for them. My opinion from the research I did was that the Raptors were maybe somewhere between the Sportsman II's and Blades. The main reason I decided to try the Raptors was because I was presented a deal I couldn't pass up. Going based on standard market pricing, I would have bought the Blades (primarily because I was already set up for PP, and because of the reputation). Since I haven't actually run the Raptors, my opinions could be bias, and may change over time. But this is all info I wish I had, so I leave you with that. I will post more updates as I get them fully functioning, and as I start to use them when water softens up.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon406 View Post
    There wasn't a ton of information available when I was considering buying another set of PP or giving the Raptors a try. So I wanted to share some details of my experience so far when considering switching. I will try to keep it mostly facts in the first part, and will share some of my opinions at the end.

- Had dual Sportsman II's since 2017 (CM2's).
    - Reason for new purchase: Decided to permanently move them to my work boat (was sharing them with my pontoon barge, so I had to switch them 4 times a year) .
    - Was considering upgrading to Blades, but was intrigued with what the new Raptors had to offer.
    - Ended up giving the new Raptors a try.
    - Currently working on installation

1) POLE COMPARISON: As some others have stated, Raptors are more comparable to Sportsman II or Pro Series in terms of general design and overall size. Raptors have bumpers for the spike when stowed. I had a lot of slapping on Sportsman II's in rough water, especially after they got some wear on them. The Raptors have a fully coated spike like the Blades. The Raptors weigh 25LB each (just the pole, dry). I did not weight my Sportsman II's cuz they are already mounted to my other boat, but I feel like they are pretty close.

2) POLE MOUNTING: The hole patterns are the same. I wasn't sure when I purchased, so I ended up buying the MK brackets. So I technically could have saved myself a chunk of money, but I'll live.

3) MOUNTING BRACKETS: I'm not totally disappointed that I bought the MK jackplate brackets. They are VERY sturdy. Much stiffer than the PP brackets I had (PKD-S-2-6-BLK). Not saying this to knock the PP brackets, they worked just fine. Just stating my observations. I see PP has newer "box" style brackets that are likely more sturdy and more expensive (closer to MK brackets). I don't know if the stiffer bracket is necessarily better. Poles are designed to have compliance, and the brackets were a part of that "suspension" effect. The stiffer brackets will transmit more of the torque to the poles, and probably induce more shock to the poles when running in rough water. But will they hold better with stiffer bracket? Will they wear faster? Time will tell.

4) PUMPS: The Raptor pumps are a lot heavier and bigger. Raptor = 13LB (dry, with bracket); PPCM2 = 7+LB (with oil and bracket). The Raptor pump mounting bracket is twice as thick, has an added brace, and has the exact same hole dimensions as the PP pump bracket. But to be fair, the Raptor bracket needs to be beefier to handle the extra weight of the pump, and I never had any issues with the PP setup. I do like the slotted pump mounting holes to make it easier to install in tight spaces. But I now have to reconfigure some stuff because the Raptor pumps don't fit in the space that I had my PPCM2 pumps. The Raptor pump bracket will mount right in to where I had the PPCM2's mounted, I just have to move my onboard charger to give more room for the oil tanks. Not the end of the world, just more work. MK also uses a real nice jacketed electrical cable on the pump that looks clean.
    IMG_1774[1].JPGIMG_1775[1].JPG

5) MOUNTING BRACKET SELECTION: If you are considering switching from an existing PP setup, and you do want to use the Raptor mounting brackets (I could not find any dimensional drawings to help me evaluate choosing 4" or 6" from MK); I was using the PKD-S-2-6-BLK brackets from Power Pole, and I had them bolted at the at the top of the slots. The 4" Raptor brackets put me at the same mounting height. But there is no adjustment in the Raptor brackets.
    IMG_1778[1].JPG

6) I have my hoses running through the top of the hull, and had originally used the PP grommets that came with the units. The Raptor grommets are exactly the same and the hoses fit in to the holes I originally drilled perfectly.
    IMG_1779[1].JPG

SOME OPINIONS:
    The Raptors seem pretty well made. Only time will tell how they hold up. I felt like I got my moneys worth out of the Sportsman II's. They did start to oval the holes on the frames at some of the joints. Probably my fault to some extent for not being better about replacing bushing kits. But I did regularly make sure the bolts were tight. Thats the only reason I didn't want to go with another set of Sportsman's. I know a lot of people with Blades and they definitely seem to hold up better, which is why I was prepared to spend the extra money for them. My opinion from the research I did was that the Raptors were maybe somewhere between the Sportsman II's and Blades. The main reason I decided to try the Raptors was because I was presented a deal I couldn't pass up. Going based on standard market pricing, I would have bought the Blades (primarily because I was already set up for PP, and because of the reputation). Since I haven't actually run the Raptors, my opinions could be bias, and may change over time. But this is all info I wish I had, so I leave you with that. I will post more updates as I get them fully functioning, and as I start to use them when water softens up.

enjoyed the detailed comparison. Looking forward to reading your on the water review

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Great feedback...hope they work out well for you. Another honest comparison noting that the Raptors are comparable to the pro II line of poles. NOT the blades . Maybe Minn Kota will come out with a higher end model like the Blade sometime..

Thanks for the write up! I am still on the fence and certainly not in a hurry to buy right now. I have had Blades in the past and they worked great but have gone to all HB/MK and debating whether to stick with the network or go a different direction.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    I have not seen anyone claim the $1499 Raptor is comparable to the $1999 blade. I was shopping sportsman vs raptor when I made my purchase and there wasn't much difference in price so I went with the one boat network.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    I have not seen anyone claim the $1499 Raptor is comparable to the $1999 blade. I was shopping sportsman vs raptor when I made my purchase and there wasn't much difference in price so I went with the one boat network.
    This has been a debate here on this forum numerous times. The general consensus is it is in line with the pro II in features and performance.. so little better then a sportsman II. (Gotta give credit where credit is due).. but doesnt compare to the top of the line blade. Great review by the OP however.

7. Member
    Minn Kota will never compare to PP customer service!

8. Member
    So what's the difference between the ProII/Sportsman and the Blade series?

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NCbound3 View Post
    So what's the difference between the ProII/Sportsman and the Blade series?
    id be happy to go over that for anyone quite lengthy phone number is 607 467 5700 however i dont wanna turn this into a powerpole post. it was ment as a review on the raptor and is a good one

10. Member
    Nice information, I just order a raptor and i'm going to mount on PP 6inch rise box brackets will see what happens. Saving me some
    bucks using my old brackets Minn Kota said to use the MK brackets and would not say why>

11. Member
    look forward to hearing your feedback.. PP, Raptor and Talon brackets are all interchangeable. Just dont use Talon on Raptor or PP mounts.. Any company is going to suggest using their own mounts.. Apple doesn't suggest third party ear buds .. but they work perfect.

12. Member
    I have to agree that the Minn Kota brackets seem superior to the Power-Pole brackets. So much so that I run my PP's on Minn Kota Talon brackets
    Risen From The Ashes!!