Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Again, thanks for all the responses. Your personal experiences are so very valuable. I also am not looking to go as fast in the new boat as I can go in my current boat. That being said, like everyone, I would like everything: low price, roominess, storage, great rough water ride, speed, low ownership costs. Of course, that is not possible, all decisions require trade-offs. I certainly don't believe I would be satisfied driving at a max speed of 35mph, but I don't need to be able to run 55mph. I don't expect to be able to blast through wake-boat wakes at 50mph, but I would like to be able to run in the low 40's in choppy water. Each of you current owners have made the decision on which trade-off to make, which is why your experience is helpful. I have reached out to Xpress for the weight of their trailers, my understanding is that they are aluminum? If so, that could lower the total towing weight and make them more accessible to me.

2. Member
    I bought a Crestliner 1850 Basshawk a couple years ago. It has a Merc 150 4s. It has a deep v-hull. I’m very happy. I fish Mille Lacs a bit. It gets rough out there at times. It’s not perfect in the high seas on a windy day. Mainly, I’m on rivers and medium-sized lakes. It’s perfect in these situations. It’s goes just under 50mph. I went with the pedestal model with jump seats. MK Ultrexx on the bow. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

3. Member
    I agree Oconee, everything is a trade off. I came out of a 20' glass boat that was SUPER comfortable. Putting that damned boat in my old garage was like shoving 10 pounds of taters in a five pound sack LOL. Maintenance on an Opti as it ages can be crazy expensive. I had it gone through, the steel reeds replaced with Boyson so I didn't risk cracking one and cratering the engine. It was time for new bunks at that time...total bill 2,000.00. I had the bottom checked for blisters when I had the dealer replace the bunks. Thankfully there were none. That repair can get expensive!

I can replace my entire motor brand new for the cost of the powerhead on the old boat. I love the ease of ownership on my tin. I replaced both trailer tires for about 110.00. The little 13's (wish it had 14's) are inexpensive. I change them every couple years. Four tires, brakes, brake master cylinders, etc.. on the big glitter sled all add to ownership cost. I bought the longest Platinum Warranty Merc offered when I got my boat. It was like 1200.00 for the little 1154S. I had the dealer do the three year service and it was a few hundred bucks. Every other year I've bought the Mercury oil change kit for about 65.00 and in 30 mins change the fluids. No more DFI oil at 40.00 a gallon. I've fished all over Guntersville for several days and may burn 10 gallons of gas...TOTAL for all three days! They are simply inexpensive to operate.

I personally don't like the painted bottoms on aluminum boats, kinda defeats the reason you buy one. I've had mine on Stick Marsh, Guntersville, KY Lake, Chick, etc...it's not a great big water boat. BUT, I have never worried about getting back. If you fish a lot of stumps the mod V hull gets hung up. There isn't much to rock off. I normally do what I'd dread on a glitter sled. I croak up the big motor and drive off stumps. I've been hung up on stumps down in Florida in both the Cougar and a Ranger 520 to the point we really considered calling for someone to tow us off. The wider and flatter the more they tend to get hung up.

Which ever you decide on go ahead and spring for a spot lock trolling motor.

One other thing I found when looking at the Aluminum Bass Boats was the room behind the console. I could not comfortably get in and out behind the Xpress console, even wearing shorts. No way would it work wearing winter clothes. G3, you could fit a Lounge Chair behind the helm. My Ranger is about right, could be a little larger, but no leg room as I have to sit slightly side saddle. I am 6'4" 280.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Member
    Ive spent the last 20+ years in a Champion. 3 different models bought a Lund pro V bass and im telling you the ride is just as good or better in some cases. you cant fill the storage no way and holds 15 9ft rods.tons of room and a awesome ride as well. thickest hull that i could find.never thought i would ever buy a tin boat again man i wish i did sooner.
    jerrysroadservice@gmail.com
    2017 Lund Pro V Bass 1875

6. Member
    Helpful responses. Bob, important comment. I still need to sit in a number of different boats and get the feel of what it would be like to fish out of them. From your experience is this issue (room behind the console) especially relevant to aluminum boats or generally to 'shorter' boats? Again, I don't have personal experience and appreciate others'.

7. Member
    Every boat I have owned over the years have been in the 18' range except for a few 16's and one 20'. The room behind the console issue is mainly a Realestate issue. There is only so much room in a smaller boat with a console. The RT188 has a TON of room for an 18'!! I needed a tilt wheel to fit comfortably behind the wheel of my 18' glass rigs. I don't with the RT.

Your best bet is to get in all of them you are considering. I will also add my RT188 takes as much storage length in the garage as my 20' Cougar did. The aluminum rig is just easier to push around by hand. I've stayed in hotel parking lots that were so tight I've had disconnect and push it out by hand so I could make a turn. No way could I shove my tandem trailers around like that.

8. Member
    Quick update if others are analyzing towing weights like I am. Xpress responded to my question and stated that their single axle trailer for the X19 pro (their AW19 trailer) weighs 350 pounds.

The Xpress X19 is a great boat. It's only a couple inches longer then a lot of the other modern 18' class boats but you get a 200hp max limit. With 150hp on the back your looking at an honest 55-58 mph boat. I towed mine 13 hours each way to Canada and back behind my Chevy Colorado two years ago with no problem. I like the looks of the new H18, Just an inch or two shy of 18' with a 93" beam on a pad hull with a 115hp. This would be a fun and quick little rig. There are a lot of great choices out there. It's good to see these companies really stepping up and making some needed offerings in this class.

10. Member
    Correction: Xpress indicated that their AW19 trailer weighs 650 pounds, not 350. My mistype. Sorry.

11. Member
    Vexus AVX 1880 and RT188...I looked at both. Buy the Vexus!
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

12. Member
    zp, I have not seen either of these boats in person, but they are in consideration. When looking at pictures of the 1880 it seems to get narrow at the front compared to the RT188 or even the AVX 189 (less room). Your comments on this observation (or mis-observation as the case may be)?

13. Member
    Xpress also commented that the stated weight for the AW19 trailer does not include brakes. Their representative has been prompt and helpful answering my questions, much appreciated.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oconee View Post
    zp, I have not seen either of these boats in person, but they are in consideration. When looking at pictures of the 1880 it seems to get narrow at the front compared to the RT188 or even the AVX 189 (less room). Your comments on this observation (or mis-observation as the case may be)?
    If you will look at my post #6 here in this thread, I told you about that...

I have been in both boats at boat shows and dealerships.... This is a true observation. There are tradeoffs in boats. You won't find a perfect one. Just list what is important to you and what has priority and pick the closest thing to perfect for you.

For instance....The RT188 is not the best big water big wind rough waves boat out there.... BUT it is very stable, fishes shallow water better than any boat I have ever been in, has great storage, ...... Those things were important to ME...CONSIDERING the type water I fish... I don't care of it goes 50 wide open or 60 wide open.... I am not going to drive it like that anyway... It has a GREAT GREAT front deck to fish from. To ME that was a big selling point... I don't fish big rough water...

You just have to look at how and where you fish and pick what fits you best and is affordable. Vexus is expensive for aluminum, but nice. And the front deck narrows a good bit.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

15. Member
    I looked at both ranger and Vexus and yes the vexus gets narrow up front. Probably the only thing I liked better about the ranger. I ended up going with a slightly used ranger with a 150 SHO. Just because I strongly prefer Yamaha over mercury. To each their own.

16. Member
    Personally, I really really don't like a boat that narrows at the front. That is where I spend probably 98% of my time.....in the front. Usually, that narrowing couples with a bigger V in front and that makes the front end more tippy side to side. I do not "drive" the boat a lot. I drive to a spot and go up front and fish. The space and width and comfort and stability of the front deck was of paramount importance on my list....that is where I am almost all day.....that is why I ended up with the RT....THAT and a screaming good deal I got. I have been very happy with it.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

17. Member
    I have a 2019 Ranger RT 188c, not the "P". Love the stability of the boat and the room on the front deck but have one big complaint. The RT 188 (not the "P") has trim tabs in the rear of the hull. Nothing more than small piece of angle iron welded to the hull to prevent excessive porpoising. If you fish stumps, go with the pad hull. This dang thing gets aggravating at times when it hangs up in the back. The Ranger RT 188P and the Vexus 189 both have pad hulls. The Vexus 189 does not narrow down at the bow like the 1880 does. The 115 four stokes sip the gas. If you want to cruise at 45 mph, this will be WOT on these boats. I have had mine hit 48 GPS on a few occasions.

18. Member
    I agree regarding space up front. It's really interesting to see how many topics on bbc reference 'buying the last boat', 'near retirement', and 'crappie fishing in future'. I'm in the same 'boat', so I want to have the option to seat two across in the bow for single pole crappie fishing in the future. I'm pretty much all bass fishing right now but am interested in learning other skills. My current boat would be a little tight for two across sitting. We can cast from the front together because I'm left handed and my fishing partner is right handed, but seats? Probably too tight. If I upgrade to a newer boat I would like to increase the room in the bow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12