Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another fiberglass to tin thread

First post, long time lurker. Lots of good information on this site, very appreciated. Like many others, I am nearing retirement and am looking for that 'last boat'. I'm currently in an 18' fiberglass with 150HP outboard. My current boat weighs 1050lbs. dry and the 150HP Mariner 2-stroke weighs 378lbs (1 pound more than a Yamaha 115hp 4-stroke SHO). So I am set up from a towing perspective to tow a boat with a vehicle that is rated to tow 3500lbs and wish to stay in that range for my replacement boat. I will have brakes on the boat trailer, and my current tow vehicle is rated to tow 4500lbs. I'm doing comparison shopping now to understand which boats meet my desired attributes and some manufacturer's websites are incomplete and/or raise questions. In looking at fiberglass boats that meet the weight limitations I really only see the Triton 179 TRX. I'm looking for at least as much floor space as I have now (preferably more) and more storage (most options have that). I'm not looking to match my current top speed (>60mph) but would like to be able to run ~45-50mph with a decent ride in windy conditions. Seems like this spot in the market is mostly populated with aluminum boats. I've never ridden in one and will do so before any purchase, but doing research to determine which options make sense to me. So, a few questions that others might be able to help with at this point to fill in my comparisons:

Does the Ranger RT198P really weigh the same (1300lbs) as the RT188P?
    For the RT198P/RT188P what are the capacities (persons/weight and total weight capacities)

What is the weight of the Vexus AVX 1880?What are the capacities?

If I have missed this information from the manufacturer's websites I do apologize and please point me in the correct direction. Thanks for any information and comments. This will help me be on the lookout for any used deals that may present themselves.

2. Member
    First of all the Ranger aluminum boat website has not been updated much since the move to Lebanon as far as I can tell. I started looking in September and the pictures are of Flippin made boats and trailers. I'm not sure about the specs. It does appear something has been done as the Flippin boats were 19' 4" for the 198's and new Lebanon made 21's are 19' 10", at least that part has been updated. The trailers for the 188 are listed as 2950 GVWR and 3725 for the 198. I'm not sure if that reflects the Flippin made trailers or the new ones made in Ozark for the 21 models. Anyway, the package for a 198 couldn't or shouldn't weigh more than 3725. My 198 has supposedly been built and was shown to be in rigging last week so may have it in the next couple of weeks. Not holding my breath but if it does make it I could let you know what it says. I'm getting a tandem trailer so it will weigh a bit more. I have a Ford F350 diesel so weight is not an issue for me.

On edit, I did go to the website of my dealer and found a 21 Lebanon made 188P with a picture of the yellow weight tag. It shows maximum capacities as 4 person or 660 pounds. Then it shows 1325 lbs persons, motor, gear. I've honestly never paid much attention that tag in the boats I have owned but I assume you can load up to 660 pounds in the boat. I guess the 1325 is the max weight you can add to the boat for all the stuff, people and motor. Honestly, I'm not really sure how to interpret it and that's probably not the info you are looking for.

No idea about a Vexus.
    Last edited by jtrac; 01-17-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

3. Member
    My buddy has the RT 198 P and its a nice ride in choppy water, with 150 Pro XS he now runs mid/upper 50's after sending it back to Ranger to have work done on the bottom. Plenty of room and stable platform. I recently bought my 3rd Xpress, an X 18 with 150 and I think it rides and fishes better but maybe just because its mine. Xpress is built with thicker metal that Ranger or Vexus and has the Sea Dek option.

4. Member
    My RT 188 weighed 2700 pounds at a certified scale on the way to the lake. I had about half tank of gas that day. It rides pretty good for what it is, you just go slower and expect to get wet if it’s rough. If you’re making the switch buy a spot lock trolling motor. I can’t describe how much easier it is on the light weight aluminum.

I’ll say the ride is on where near my 181 or 187 Champion. My old Sabre FTD would run circles around the little Ranger tin. The current boat has more storage than anyone person needs and fishes REAL good when the trolling motor is down!

5. Member
    jtrac, thanks for the info; I have updated my spreadsheet. Based on the trailer GVWR is suspect the hull weight of the 188P is not the same as the 198P which would indicate that Ranger's website does need updating. 3725lbs would remove the 198P from consideration, which I was expecting.

f24, the marina closest to me who has performed the maintenance on my boat is an Xpress dealer. I have looked at the transom on one of their hyperlift models and it looks very similar to the transom on my current boat. I'm interested in your experience with the X18 compared to your other boats.

n2, you have the RT188 and not RT188P, right?

As a general question, I see that many of the comments regarding aluminum ride vs. fiberglass ride focus on fiberglass being heavier resulting in better rough condition ride. Considering that all of the aluminum boats I am considering are the same length or slightly longer and weigh more than my current boat, and have padded hulls like my current boat, should I assume that they will provide similar or better ride in those conditions?

6. Member
    Aluminum ride depends a LOT on EXACTLY which hull you are asking about. I have a buddy with an Xpress X19 with a 175 on it. It drives and rides as good as a SIMILAR size glass boat. It is better than my RT188. BUT...I can go in shallow water and fish where his boat won't float.

In a lot of boats, they make more of a sharp vee in the front. The ride is better but the fishing area up front is not. Vexus reminds me of this.

In Florida, we have a lot of medium size lakes, rivers and shallow water. We don't have a lot of the huge reservoirs. Except Lake O and a couple of other larger lakes, we don't get the terrible rollers you see in some huge reservoirs elsewhere. I seldom encounter bad rough water. When I do, I slow down and keep the bow up and I stay dry.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oconee View Post
    jtrac, thanks for the info; I have updated my spreadsheet. Based on the trailer GVWR is suspect the hull weight of the 188P is not the same as the 198P which would indicate that Ranger's website does need updating. 3725lbs would remove the 198P from consideration, which I was expecting.

f24, the marina closest to me who has performed the maintenance on my boat is an Xpress dealer. I have looked at the transom on one of their hyperlift models and it looks very similar to the transom on my current boat. I'm interested in your experience with the X18 compared to your other boats.

n2, you have the RT188 and not RT188P, right?

As a general question, I see that many of the comments regarding aluminum ride vs. fiberglass ride focus on fiberglass being heavier resulting in better rough condition ride. Considering that all of the aluminum boats I am considering are the same length or slightly longer and weigh more than my current boat, and have padded hulls like my current boat, should I assume that they will provide similar or better ride in those conditions?
    YEP, I have the regular RT188.

Weight doesn’t get you a better rough water ride, deadrise, length, and driver skill plays WAY more into that than weight. Couple that with glass comes out of a mold which can be monitored for a lot better consistency than aluminum jigs and welders.

Some of the best riding hulls I’ve driven are considered light weight go fast boats.

Plus, at this time the builders are pretty limited to what they can do with aluminum.

You can do a lot more with a fiberglass mold as far as hull design. This is why you can have a 17'-18' fiberglass boat with a 150hp doing mid 60's.

9. Member
    I have been in Xpress with the hyperlift hull for the last 20 years with my previous 2 being 17 footers. My X 18 has a 95 " beam, 18' long rated for 150. Top speed so far has been 59.5 but seldom run that hard. Very stable platform and good ride in all conditions so far. large front deck with enough storage and will hold my 7' rods in side or center lockers. Estimated weight with 36 gallons gas and tackle is less than 2500. This boat will easily do over 60 with the right prop and Yamaha SHO 150, mine is the F150 so its not the fastest but fast enough. If speed is important there is a you tube of 2 stock 18' Express with stock 150 s running almost 70 but those guys worked to set them up for speed. Love the boat and it fishes great for me at least

10. Member
    Thanks for the responses, I benefit from your experiences. My boat is one of the light weight, go fast designs. It is not a smooth ride in rough water (specifically boat traffic) and I have surfed a lot of wakes and now slow down more for comfort. I have ridden in large 20' glass bass boats with 225hp motors and have seen how smooth they can ride even at higher speeds.

So the comments regarding hull are interesting. As I pointed out the transom of the Xpress boat I looked at was very similar to my boat, but I can see where fiberglass can be molded in continuous curves where that might be difficult using aluminum sheet. Perhaps the padded aluminum boats don't have some of the curvature that can be built into the glass boats. Still, the hull on my boat even from the bow is similar to the Xpress hull I saw and lighter (mine is an older hull I bought new in 1987, so perhaps it did not have some of the design technology of newer glass hulls) which is why I was hoping for at least as good a ride, if not a slight improvement?

f24, thanks for the comments on the X18. I would consider one with a 115hp or 150hp, any thoughts on that?

This is an interesting process (shopping for a new boat) but I would prefer to 'get it right the first time' if possible. Unlike shopping for cars, having the opportunity to drive boats is not as easy which is why I do appreciate this input.

11. Member
    If a soft ride is a top priority an aluminum boat is probably not the boat for you. At least most of them. The Lund Prov bass would be the only one I would be looking at. Those boats take on rough water better than most fiberglass boats. Most of the more traditional aluminum bass boat designs are great boats but the ride is rougher than their fiberglass counterparts.

Lots of good replies here! Great storage in my RT198. My rig is really loaded with additional weight given the options as I have listed. I can get low 50s with a passenger.
    If soft ride in a chop is what you want, I would look at a different hull design or material. If you want a soft ride, why switch to a Tin? It isn't like you are carrying the boat on your back?
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

13. Member
    If i was buying the X18 you mentioned i would get the 150. The 150 would handle better and probably be better on fuel as it will work less lifting the hull.

With my 198P i don't miss having a glass boat at all for the waters i fish, very happy with the boat. I would've looked hard at an Xpress as i really like them but there's no dealers in the New England area. i've never seen one in person!

14. Member
    I'd add Xpress and G3 to your search, and War Eagle and Sea Ark if you have a dealer nearby.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

I would strongly recommend to look at a Vexus in person and compare it to the others you consider. Try to find a dealer that you can drive to even if it is a distance away. The actual boat itself hardly ever breaks. Most things that might happen are minor and they can send you what you need. Just find one to look at. They are a different aluminum boat and trailer.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

16. Member
    Oconee I would definitely get the 150 as the X 18 is the same width as the X 19 or the X 21 that 5 BASS pros run on the Elites. If you can find one on site it probably will have the 115 or that's what I ran into last summer before I ordered one. Took 15 weeks to get mine in and wait is that long or longer now. All a matter of preference but the Vexus disappointed me when I saw it in person and was under powered in the size range,18', I wanted. I think the Ranger 198P(pad hull) and Xpress X series have a larger front deck than the Vexus due to the way the hull is designed but just my opinion and Xpress is built out of .125 material and almost all others are .100 so that's 25% thicker metal. If all people liked the same things in a boat there would only need to be 1 builder. Lots of quality aluminum boats built today for us to choose from and Xpress is my choice.

17. Member
    Some sound information. To be clear, I am working within my self-imposed towing weight limit which is why I am looking in this particular space. The RT198P and X19 with 150 may be over the weight I'm looking at, very close. But they are both very intriguing, and I continue to consider them. I reached out to Vexus and found out that the AVX 1880 hull is 1500lbs., which puts the towing weight above my target. The AVX 189 is in play though.
    So continuing to look, and trying not to exclude viable options, I have researched some fiberglass boats. With my goal of tow ability the Triton 179 TRX is the only glass boat that seems fit in this space (and I read a comment in bbc from a supposed dealer that indicated this was exactly what Triton was thinking when developing this model).

So, here are a couple of specs to compare:
    Triton 179 TRX fiberglass: hull weight 1202#, length 18'6", beam 91", max hp 115, estimated tow weight w/115 2952#
    Vexus AVX 189 aluminum: hull weight 1200#, length 18'7", beam 94", max hp 115, estimated tow weight w/115 2950#
    Avid 19 XB aluminum: hull weight 1290#, length 18'7", beam 97", max hp 150, estimated tow weight w/115 3040#
    Xpress X18 aluminum: hull weight 1187#, length 18', beam 95", max hp 150, estimated tow weight w/150 3037#

The hull weights are very similar, with the Vexus and Avid heavier than the Triton and the Xpress the lightest hull. Based on experience will the Triton perform better (speed and/or rough water) than the aluminum boats? I ask because all thing being similar I believe I would choose aluminum for ease of ownership. I have been very satisfied with my fiberglass boat but over the 33 years I have owned it I have accumulated a few scrapes and dings in the glass that I have had to repair. I'm not opposed to purchasing another fiberglass boat but again for ease of ownership would be drawn to aluminum if that makes sense. I realize I'm not going to have the ride of a 20' glass boat with 250 on it, not expecting to. But, I would hope that I will end up with at least as good overall performance as my 33 year old boat, and hopefully a little better. Again, appreciate the input. As stated I have not yet had a chance to ride in an aluminum bass boat so this input from other's experience is extremely helpful.

I had a Ranger 518 CI with the 200 PRO XS (Opti), that got totaled in an auto accident. Now I have the RT198P. Both had the Ranger Aluminum trailers. I will say those trailers are the best damn trailers I have ever towed. I have had many trailers in the past and none of those even held a candle to the Alum. Ranger trailers. You could tow either boat with a bicycle!

I am "More Comfortable", mentality, in my Tin than I was in the Glass. Not so worried about oyster rubs, running aground on sand bars, docking in a swift current, ...
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

19. Member
    No way I'm buying/owning an eighteen and half foot fiberglass boat with a maximum hp of 115, that just seems silly....strictly my own opinion

The Avid would definitely be on my short list....

20. Member
    I did not buy aluminum to speed around the lake. My last Ranger would run 68 wide open. I hardly ever ran it there...hardly ever. I would cruise about 40-45.

If you are looking for something to run fast..... DON'T BUY ALUMINUM.

I bought this boat to fish from. I wanted a big front deck and good storage and wanted to go to a four stroke motor so I traded. I have never missed the glass boat.

If I knew what I know now, I would have bought Vexus. I really like my Ranger RT188 - IT FISHES GREAT ...with the huge front deck. It rides and drives just fine if you know the boat.

My buddy has a Vexus and it is just a better boat. It is designed better as far as dry storage, paint, trailer, amenities like hydraulic steering...etc. etc. If you compare these things and the quality of things like paint and dry storage design, you will buy the Vexus.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast