Thread: I got GOT

I got GOT

Well long story but will keep it short. I bought my 2010 Cougar with the 2010 Mercury 250 ProXS 2 years ago. The motor had 212 hours and I was told by the dealer that the motor had been serviced regularly by them and the owner took very good care of it. No doubt of taking care of her exterior as she still looks brand new today. There is not a need to call out the dealer or previous owner as it does no good. I knew it was time for some prevent maintenance so I scheduled service and took her to 1 of the best around. I got the call on New Year's Eve that we all dread. Robbie with Propeller Dynamics tells me that the original motor parts are still install. The motor has 254.3 hours and there is no record of service and all spark plugs, T-stats, water pump and impeller are original. There was also a crack in the head that was famous in this model year. As I am taken by surprise in this, I had now reason to doubt him. Well got her back on Friday and attached are the pictures of the parts replaced. So in all my boat got the 200 hour service after 10 years, maybe 11 pending when she came off the line at BCB.I want to make a call out to Propeller Dynamics, Robbie and his staff are top notch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

Robbie has been a friend for many years, won'tfind a more honest man, and he's one of the best in prop, lower unit work.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

3. Member
    Should run great now, at least you caught it now before something more serious. Robbie is top notch !

some peoples version of "maintained" and mine are a LOOOOT different. I learned this the hard way myself when a travelled 22 hours ONE WAY to purchase a 6 year old BCB boat that was "mint" "professionally maintained" and "professionally wired"....when I got there I found an abused, neglected boat that had been worked on by a hack job mechanic (they even ran extension cord for power to the front graphs). All service done yearly must've meant ...it didn't break so we didn't replace it....original plugs, water pump, belt, lower unit oil, etc on a boat with 300 hours on it.....

Glad your boat is sorted out now and I hope it treats you as good as you will be treating it!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

5. Member
    While this may be the case with your engine there are many cases out there where people still maintain their own equipment, I personally am one of them. I can't bring myself to pay someone to change some plugs, change some oil, lube what needs to be lubed, change some t-stats and gaskets and tighten what needs to be tightened on a regular basis. Now for actual engine work or troubleshooting a major problem, sure ill let the certified guys take a crack at it especially while under warranty. I have my current 2016 Puma since dec 2016 it now has 229 hours, it has had 5 sets of plugs, 7 lower unit oil changes, 5 fuel filters, 5 water pumps numerous thermostat cleanings, numerous strainer cleanings, and equipment tightenings since I have owned it, all done in my own garage. All I'm trying to say is there are still people out here who do maintain their own equipment, sometimes even better then a shop will do it.

I will say thats a good plug for Robbies shop, I have sent him some props to rework before, I did not know he was in the engine business. I will be calling him as I would like an inspection of some motor mounts and another issue I'm having that I can't solve and he's only an hour up the road so thats nice to see as my only other option was taking the boat to Don at European Marine cause he's about the only mechanic within 9 hours of me that I trust.

Robbie would be closer. New shop just East of I295 and 460. Yes this post maybe a plug for Robbie, as he was honest and straight up. My point was I trusted the dealer that I bought from and this to me is an unacceptable practice. Now congrats on being mechanically knowledgeable to take on these task. I am not as I can promise something will break and it will take twice as long.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    While this may be the case with your engine there are many cases out there where people still maintain their own equipment, I personally am one of them. I can't bring myself to pay someone to change some plugs, change some oil, lube what needs to be lubed, change some t-stats and gaskets and tighten what needs to be tightened on a regular basis. Now for actual engine work or troubleshooting a major problem, sure ill let the certified guys take a crack at it especially while under warranty. I have my current 2016 Puma since dec 2016 it now has 229 hours, it has had 5 sets of plugs, 7 lower unit oil changes, 5 fuel filters, 5 water pumps numerous thermostat cleanings, numerous strainer cleanings, and equipment tightenings since I have owned it, all done in my own garage. All I'm trying to say is there are still people out here who do maintain their own equipment, sometimes even better then a shop will do it.

I will say thats a good plug for Robbies shop, I have sent him some props to rework before, I did not know he was in the engine business. I will be calling him as I would like an inspection of some motor mounts and another issue I'm having that I can't solve and he's only an hour up the road so thats nice to see as my only other option was taking the boat to Don at European Marine cause he's about the only mechanic within 9 hours of me that I trust.
    I do the same! You're the kind of guy I want to buy a boat from!
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

8. Member
    So, basically, the dealer lied to you about having serviced the motor???
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I was told it had 212 hours, I was given the break down on RPMs and that they had serviced the boat since original purchase.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

All I know is when I bought my last 3 boats I immediately took them in for the annual service and then repeat every year weather I ran 10 hours or 200. It give me piece of mind.

Hopefully everything is now as it should be.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post

i was going to say the same thing about doing my own maintenance.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

12. Member
    Sorry to hear this. Exact same thing happened to me three years ago when I bought my 08 Cougar. Was told regular maintenance done and the local dealer confirmed and provided me a print out with hours and compression. Towed it 900 miles back home and a couple months later compressor shot, cracked port head, seized plugs ect. Come to find out, the ecm had been replaced on this motor and actually the hours incorrect. Instead of the 174 hours, it actually was about 320 according to Mercury, as the hours had been recorded when ecm replaced.
    2008 BC Cougar w/ 250 Pro xs