Banned

New to me boat & 1st shop maintenance. Questions to ask?

I was advised to move this post to the Yamaha forum. I got some excellent ideas from the BassBoat general folks but hoping my engines condition rings a bell with the experts:

Got a bad stretch of weather next week and going to get the boat in for its first maintenance since I've owned it. It's a 2008, 200 HPDI Yamaha. Planning to have lower fluid change and impeller, but what else should I have looked at? Every once in a while I'll step on it only to have it bog down and refuse to plane. I'm not very familiar so can't say what it is...fuel flow issue or cylinder missing. I have just dropped it into idle, gently revved a bit...maybe even shift back to reverse...then hit it again and she's been fine. I suspect fuel quality as sometimes I stop at the +ethanol fuel station and use some Stabil ethanol formula to get by until I get to the ethanol free station.

I've owned it since July and have been very happy. Want to keep it humming for a long time...willing to do whatever that takes.

Thanks

2. Member
    Best advice I could give is the advice I've received from here and that is learn to do it yourself, many great posts on all the "secret hpdi filters" here if you search not that hard to change, vst filters as well, injectors to brucato "he's a sponsor here", marine tech tools has a great video on doing the impeller and you can do it for about 120 bucks,all these things are not that hard once you do it once I know it's kinda scary but you'll be way money ahead and you'll know it's done rite, I do mine every two years and learned how to do most all of it here by reading posts or asking questions, start running ringfree in every tank, and go out of your way to always get non ethonol, you can do this man many here will help you good luck

3. Member
    I would Change plugs, fuel filter, Impeller, and LU fluid. Then run it and see if it still has any bogging issues.

If it’s a decent Yamaha dealer, they should be able to hook it to the computer and check for any codes. Then they should know all the maintenance items That need checked/replaced.

4. Member
    I have never owned an HPDI. I have read many posts over the years.

I agree with learning to do most for yourself.

Injectors flowing correctly is critical for engine performance and life. If an injector is lean, less fuel and oil to that cylinder. Less oil means failure. Search posts about sending injectors off for cleaning/calibration.

Low pressure pumps are a known failure mode and need to be checked. Many have eliminated low-pressure pumps with an electric fuel pump.

Many have converted to an automotive O2 sensor. The automotive sensor is much cheaper. Change more frequently to improve engine performance. When this is done, best to change pigtail on engine to be plug-n-play with the automotive sensor.

5. Member
    Don't forget the VST filter

6. Banned
    I called the shop yesterday and they had finished the lower fluid and impeller service. $140. I watched a video to change an impeller and I know I will not be doing that myself at that price. They had not yet looked at the fuel issue so the final bill is yet to be determined. Just wondering if folks are paying a lot more for this periodic service. Seemed very reasonable to me. I like to change my own vehicle oil so not opposed to DIY.

7. Member
    I use a backyard type guy for my ox66. Normally I do my own easy stuff like plugs and lift pumps. Usually I just ask him to do lower unit, impeller and clean\replace filters. He also greases everything and looks it over for general maintenance.

Normally it runs me about $300