mounting down and side view sonar on aluminum boats

Im going to purchase a down/ side imaging sonar for my aluminum bass boat. in the past you haven't been able to mount the transducer on the interior hull of aluminum boats, is this still true??? if so, where is the best locations for the transducers. keep in mind, i want to be able to travel and look for spots to fish, with my outboard motor as well as while i troll.
    any information would be appreciated .

FireCap

2. Member
    It is still true. Down and Side imaging transducers need to be on the transom. I use Humminbird products. I mounted SI transducer on the left side of my aluminium boat on a mounting boar a bit higher than the bottom of the boat. I also use smaller high speed transducer mounted on the opposite side with the bottom end just a bit below (1/4 inch) the bottom of the boat for 2D high speed reading. Both transducers are connected to the unit via a Y cable.

3. Member
    To mount my Lowrance HD 10 and sidescan transducers on my BassTracker transom, I went to Lowes and got a piece of that 1"x 4" plastic wood shelf material they sell. Mount that to your transom then attach the metal brackets to the plastic wood. Otherwise, the metal brackets will react with the aluminum and cause corrosion if mounted directly. Use all stainless steel fasteners. m

4. Member
    copy that guys.

5. Member
    My Helix 7 has one transducer that does it all. I mounted it like this.
    20201126_144005.jpg
    I added another Helix 5 to the console and mounted them like this for now.
    20210123_201819.jpg

Straight lines always look better ! Or at least that's what my OCD tells me !! LOL I ran my transducer wire tight along the side of the Jack Plate.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    If your boat has ridges that run from front to back, be sure to mount the transducer(s) between the ridges as these can cause turbulence that will hurt your picture.