2000 225 Optimax starter

Over the past years my starter seems weaker and weaker. I change the starting battery quite a bit and think that my main problem s the starter. I am done with the one I have, where do I get a new one and how much should it cost?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

See Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum for Parts Assistance.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-18-2021 at 04:00 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    OK, here is my motor data:

1. Engine Serial Number - OT166154
    2. Year/Make/Model - 2000 Mercury Optimax 225
    3. Prop you are Running - 25P Tempest Plus
    4. Current Maximum RPM - 5900
    5. Idle and WOT Water Pressure Readings -
    6. Smartcraft or Analog Instruments? - Analog

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That starter is (unfortunately) now NLA. Rebuild the current unit, or if that can't be done, aftermarket is about the only remaining choice (though I did find a lead on a dealer that claimed to have two of them just last month).

Sending you a PM for that lead.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    https://www.dbelectrical.com/

I just got a start for my XB from here a couple months ago. So far so good