Ultex Stabilizer Arm Inboard or Outboard?

Okay I just put an Minn Kota Ultrex on the front of my Ranger 198 P. I mounted the stabilizer bar on the gunnel of the boat. I posted some pics in the facebook group for ranger aluminums and people keep saying this is a bad idea. Other then paint issues which is all I can think of. What is the issue? I plan on putting some of the rubber step stuff under the foot like the bow of the boat has to save the paint from being damaged.

I would really like to pictures showing the issues of doing it this way. So far no one has been able to show why.
    Last edited by raisinrat; 01-17-2021 at 08:31 AM.

I don't see a problem with it. Mine happens to be on the carpet with the little round black plastic protector under it. But I would not see a problem with what you want to do as long as the gunnel was wide enough and not curved and flat enough where the arm would not be stable or slide up and down a little in rough water.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

3. Member
    Mine is on the outside but sits on the black rubber pad not the gunnel with no problems on a RT178.

4. Member
    Mine has been on the gunnel for three years now with no issues. Paint shows no wear as of yet!

Do you have pics and what length is your motor on what boat? I am running a 52 inch Ultrex

6. Member
    I just have the adjustable pole that mounts to the Ultrex to keep the motor from bouncing. I'd like to see what you're talking about. Before I had an Ultrex, I ran a Fortrex on a Lowe Stinger for 4 years without any issues.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Member
    Geaux....I think they are talking about the aluminum rod that comes with the motor. You cut it off to fit the height.

Regarding the gunnel.... Mine was on the gunnel and had no problems. I did not like how far out the head of the motor stuck out over the side of the boat and I moved it inward. The head stuck out past the edge of the gunnel far enough that it hit stuff. I have a buddy with a boathouse type boat stall. My motor head would hit his dock supports when I backed the boat out. So I moved the whole thing over a little toward the seat post. When I did that, it is now on the carpet and works there too.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

8. Member
    After looking at mine it actually sits on the rubber step pad, not the paint. It's an 80lb, 42" Fortex on a 2018 RT 198P!

IMG_4021.JPG

9. Member
    I have the 45 inch Ultrex on the 178 and the support rod sits just like yours maybe to the rear another inch. I figured it was one less thing to trip over on the outside.

I seen it on ranger aluminum on FB and had to do it and I am glad I did. No more smashing my rods and it ended up resting on the rubber pad.

11. Member
    I have mine mounted to the outside resting on the gunnel. Mine is a glass gunnel. Been there since Jan of 17. No problems at all and I don’t have to be careful to not let it come down on a rod or reel. Seems very practical and wise to me. I too have not had anyone give me a logical reason as to why it’s a bad idea.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    After looking at mine it actually sits on the rubber step pad, not the paint. It's an 80lb, 42" Fortex on a 2018 RT 198P!

IMG_4021.JPG
    It never occurred to me to mount the bounce arm that way. I have it on the inward size and I always have to be sure I move my rods out of the way before pulling the motor in prior to using the big motor.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post

IMG_4021.JPG
    Thats how mine is on my Triton, never an issue...