Thread: Gunwale repair

Gunwale repair

Had my 175txw tracker tied up to a houseboat . Nasty storm came through and with all the rocking of the two boats my bumpers flipped up and couple of exposed bolts and vent caps on the houseboat beat the snot out of gunwale edge above the rubber strip. Like a four year old and a hammer with the question " what happens if I hit that pretty red edge with this heavy thing 1000 times ?" Anyway - no actual punctures but a lot of little dents and chipping . Any ideas on how to fix that ? Can a body shop work magic? I'll probably have to go around the whole boat with what ever repair so the paint or possibly non-slip coating matches .

A body shop can fix it to where you would never know it was there. It will probably be between 500-1000 bucks. Auto body shops know how to do this stuff. Maybe you can find a one man shop somewhere around you that will cut you a deal. That's for touch up just that area....they probably won't paint the boat for that....
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

3. Member
    im an automotive painter. a body shop can definatley fix it. i actually sprayed a linex on my gunnels on my rockproof. an have done it to a few others also. much like xpress boats come from factory. takes a good beating. an easy to touch up. any " real good" non hack body shop can match your paint . we have fancy cameras now adays that almost do it for us. no excuses there anymore unless its some backwoods type place. but at that point youre already in the wrong spot lol

4. Member
    Thanks ! I'll get ahold of a couple good shops and get some estimates .

Your insurance may cover the repair. Call them and find out.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments