Cold Weather Lithium Use

Can anyone share their experience with using lithium batteries in really cold conditions? Up here in NY we fish well into December. There are days that never get out of the 30s, and days that cold where you are still fishing in a good current. I don’t know if these batteries will hold up or charge outdoors overnight in these conditions.
    BCB Puma STS
    Merc 250

2. Member
    For trolling motors they work fine. Initial max current available is lower, but they warm up as you use them.
    For cranking, the available current drops drastically below freezing. I switched back to AGM for my cranking battery for this reason. Barely turns motor over when cold.

The BMS will not allow the battery to be charged if the temp is too low. You can discharge it below that temp. Refer to the specs of the battery brand you are interested in.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Using them in the cold is no issue at all. Charging below 32f is safe as well but you need to limit the current the charger puts out depending on the brand lithium you buy. These are all specs that are easy to find. I have cranked my 250 pro xs with my relion 100ah HP multiple times in the drive way with temps around 10 degrees and the thing started just about as easy as it does when it’s 80 degrees out.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

I have cranked my 250 pro xs with my relion 100ah HP multiple times in the drive way with temps around 10 degrees
    Sounds like a good way to thrash an impeller.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Using them in the cold is no issue at all. Charging below 32f is safe as well but you need to limit the current the charger puts out depending on the brand lithium you buy. These are all specs that are easy to find. I have cranked my 250 pro xs with my relion 100ah HP multiple times in the drive way with temps around 10 degrees and the thing started just about as easy as it does when it’s 80 degrees out.
    I had a Relion 100 on my 2004 250XS and it would barely crank it below freezing, Above freezing was way different. I went back to my Odyssey because cold cranking was exponentially better.

7. Member
    Your post is very cryptic. Please provide some details. Trolling motor battery? Starting battery? Brand? Size?

Starting battery.
    The Battery Management System (BMS) is programmed differently on each brand so you would need to find the specs for that brand/model battery.

My understanding, best practice is to charge lithiums before heading out instead of when you return so the battery should be warm from charging even if the boat is stored outside.

I have heard of people starting the electronics 15-20 min before cold starting. Idea is the discharge will get the battery warmed up before cranking. Not sure how well this works or practical that is.

Others have stated that after the cold start there were no problems the rest of the day.

Trolling Motor / Electronics

There should be almost zero difference between warm and cold conditions as long as the temps are within the battery specs.
    Icefisherman drag lithiums onto the ice and run graphs and such. I'm sure its well below 30 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Sounds like a good way to thrash an impeller.
    It's fine let the lower unit soak for a minute.

most can be used to 0*f but can't charge below 32*f. Really recks my possibilities
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    It's fine let the lower unit soak for a minute.

most can be used to 0*f but can't charge below 32*f. Really recks my possibilities
    Did you read the part about starting in the driveway ???

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friogatto View Post
    Your post is very cryptic. Please provide some details. Trolling motor battery? Starting battery? Brand? Size?

Starting battery.
    The Battery Management System (BMS) is programmed differently on each brand so you would need to find the specs for that brand/model battery.

My understanding, best practice is to charge lithiums before heading out instead of when you return so the battery should be warm from charging even if the boat is stored outside.

I have heard of people starting the electronics 15-20 min before cold starting. Idea is the discharge will get the battery warmed up before cranking. Not sure how well this works or practical that is.

Others have stated that after the cold start there were no problems the rest of the day.

Trolling Motor / Electronics

There should be almost zero difference between warm and cold conditions as long as the temps are within the battery specs.
    Icefisherman drag lithiums onto the ice and run graphs and such. I'm sure its well below 30 degrees.
    Note: The 100 HP is a starting battery.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Did you read the part about starting in the driveway ???
    oh my god call the cops!!!!!!!

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Just trying to educate here.. Before you start that motor in the driveway again. You might do a little research.
    I bet a dollar to a dog turd that fishysam won't crank his motor at the house without muffs.

13. Member
    I just put in a 125ah ionic for my 250 pro Xs and went this morning when temps were 24 degrees and it started,(did take longer than normal). After the initial start, it started like normal all day.