Spindle Condition

Had catastrophic bearing failure. See where race “peeled” away a very small section of the shoulder where the inner race butts against. Should I try to put that curly Q piece back in place or snip it off and smooth it or replace the spindle? The bearing and grease seal surfaces are ok. Pretty sure I can salvage those.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I don’t like the way the race damaged the surface it sits on. I’m not sure you’ll get the race to stay still on that spindle.

If that’s a torsion axle and you can easily replace the spindle, I’d definitely replace it.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    The spindle has to be cut off and a new one welded on in PERFECT alignment

4. Member
    I think the "Curly Q" piece is part of the bearing and not the spindle shoulder, I would take it off. It got so hot, the bearing welded itself to the axle.

Those axles are hard to work with (Hardened steel) very tough, I had one go one time, I filed it for an hour, till finally I broke out the grinding wheel to get the bearing to slide on.

the question is? how far do you trailer, If you stay locally, then clean it up and make sure the bearing and seal slide on easily and sit right.

Then keep an eye on it , after you fix it, make sure its not getting hot or leaking.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo93 View Post
    The spindle has to be cut off and a new one welded on in PERFECT alignment
    That’s not a torsion axle? Looks like I can see the trailing arm in the picture.
    nothing else matters.​

That "Curly Q" piece looks to me like the lip (all thats left) of a speedy (wear sleeve). I'd get a new one clean it all up good and try your new bearings.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    That "Curly Q" piece looks to me like the lip (all thats left) of a speedy (wear sleeve). I'd get a new one clean it all up good and try your new bearings.
    Now that I look at it again, your right, I think the curly Q is the wear sleeve also

8. Member
    Yes it’s a torsion axle.

9. Member
    Should that shoulder be squared? Or tapered? Now that I also look at it closer it does look like some excess metal stuck to the shoulder. Remove with Dremel or chisel with light taps?

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Yes it’s a torsion axle.
    At worst, you just replace the arm unless this is an older trailer. In most cases, the spindle is bolted on and you can just replace that.
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Spindle is welded on. Front and back. Arm isn’t replaceable. 1994 trailer.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Spindle is welded on. Front and back. Arm isn’t replaceable. 1994 trailer.
    Probably a Henschen axle. UFP can make you a custom axle for little more than replacing the spindle might cost, so it’s worth looking into before investing money with a welder.

I went through the same thing a few years back. UFP shipped me a new axle with brakes and everything. Painted it to match my trailer, bolted it on and hooked up the brakes. Probably didn’t take me an hour to install the new axle.
    nothing else matters.​

Should that shoulder be squared? Or tapered? Now that I also look at it closer it does look like some excess metal stuck to the shoulder. Remove with Dremel or chisel with light taps?

Bet you can pull it off by hand with some gloves on. I'd cut it with a good pair of dykes and wind it off, if it got welded from friction. The shoulder really doesn't matter as long as the lip doesn't have any burrs on it. The seal will ride on the smooth surface of the new sleeve.. Smooth it off real good with emory cloth and install the new sleeve. The bearing race will ride in front of that. You want the race to take some effort to go on so it won't spin. If it wants to spin take a coal chisel and score the spindle then tap the race on, that will hold it.

From what I see theres no need to replace the axle.. I've helped fix some a lot worse than that.
    Good luck and post if any snags.

I'd recommend some high temp red silicone/gasket sealer on inside of wear sleeve before putting it on.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Probably a Henschen axle. UFP can make you a custom axle for little more than replacing the spindle might cost, so it’s worth looking into before investing money with a welder.

I went through the same thing a few years back. UFP shipped me a new axle with brakes and everything. Painted it to match my trailer, bolted it on and hooked up the brakes. Probably didn’t take me an hour to install the new axle.
    I'm doing this same thing right now except my axle is coming straight from EZ Loader. Had some issues last spring and a local shop was able to repair everything but it's been an almost constant problem since. EZ Loader is sending a new axle for around $500 shipped, which is less than parts and labor I have into it already trying to get the existing one repaired properly.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I'd recommend some high temp red silicone/gasket sealer on inside of wear sleeve before putting it on.
    No expert here but I think i'd do a test fit and if it will go on, red loctite would be my drug of choice .

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    No expert here but I think i'd do a test fit and if it will go on, red loctite would be my drug of choice .
    DO NOT test fit a wear sleeve-- you have to ruin it to remove.. If its the right size they fit tight. I've never had one you could push on by hand.

18. Member
    I know they are a pound on item, buy two or be good with a mike. From the looks of the wear surface, it will need sealer, and it needs a sleeve.