Problems with Vault Hubs

Have 2019 Ranger Z521L. Boat and trailer 22 months old. Trailer has 20,000 miles on it. I live in California. Hub cover popped off in Nashville and before we noticed it had ruined bearings. Had to replace bearing and used grease instead of oil with Bearing Buddy Cap.

Today went to change oil in hubs and there was no Allen wrench plug to drain oil. After much dithering figured out I had Vault Hubs. In the process of taking the tire of looking for Allen plug I discovered bad wheel bearing. Rebuilt with new bearing and grease and a Bearing buddy cap.

Very annoyed at the 10 year unlimited mileage Vault Hubs.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with Vault Hubs?

2. Member
    Failures can happen and your hubs are still covered by Rangers 3 year trailer warranty. The Vault hubs have been more reliable than any previous hubs that Ranger has used in the past.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

3. Member
    The vault system is horrible but that is what we are stuck with. I have replaced all of mine twice, just noticed I have another one throwing grease yesterday. If you travel..... always keep and extra trailing arm with you. easy, side of the road fix with the right tools. Keep a battery powered impact wrench and sockets. Trust me, it will keep you out of a bind! Mine is a 2015 Z-520c. I believe all marine trailer manufacturers are using vault now.

4. Member
    What’s an extra trailing arm?

5. Member
    My 2019 520L had 3 hubs that failed to keep grease in them. Mine were vault hubs but didn’t have oil in them they had grease. Maybe why you can’t find the alan wrench plug? I had to fully take the hub/rotor off to change the rear seal then put grease in it. Just like the old days with hubs but it uses a different grease. My brakes pads had all failed too but ranger doesn’t cover those. Same with the rear brake lines. The trailer was clearly set up wrong from the factory where the brake lines rubbed up against the channel of the trailer. Ranger said brake lines aren’t warrantied. I could go on ...

Anyway like they said get a trailing arm as a spare. That is your axle and hub/rotor all in one and goes on the spindle welded to the trailer. Changes out very quickly with the right tools. I’ve found them as cheap as $169
    Carpe Diem!!