2019 Mercury 4 Stroke knock

Hi all.. Just had a question about a knock that has developed, I made a 2 mile or so run this morning at about 1/2 throttle and when I came off of plane I could hear a knock, after removing cowling it seemed to be on both sides around the bottom 2 cylinders. It has fresh oil and is at the proper fill level. The motor has right at 500 hours, I know it could be anything, but just curious if anyone had experienced this. I am taking it to the shop early next week. Thanks for any feedback...

Don't take it personal ---just a note before Don can answer he will require a serial# (per board instructions) and I'm sure he can help.

If you have power poles. Sometimes the poles rattle making you think its engine

2018 Phoenix 921
    2018 Mercury 250 Pro xs
    Hotrod

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Numerous possibilities... including valve train components, timing chains/tensioners, oil pump, and of course all of the other internal moving components.

In addition- don't forget the external items (like power poles mentioned above), and/or JACKPLATE and ENGINE hardware. Had one in here last week with an Atlas Jackplate that I could literally spin the upper bolts BY HAND on.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I’ll wager u $10 your lower unit is failing and the sound is resonating up to motor...
    ask me how I know ...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    I’ll wager u $10 your lower unit is failing and the sound is resonating up to motor...
    ask me how I know ...
    Ok, how do you know?
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

good one..

Cause mine did same thing...
    got a video or 2 in my phone if u want to PM me, I’ll send via text...
    then had 2 more friends, do same thing... all 3 of us had the lower with the 3 hole inlet ... not sure that’s got anything to do with it...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably not. Knock on wood- so far the only ones I've replaced have been due to collision with an underwater object.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Does it knock in neutral?

The power pole knock has gotten me a few times.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    ask me how I know ...
    yep! 3 teeth off my pinion gear. Sounded like a pecking in my motor. I pulled the blower belt off to eliminate blower, alternator and idler pulley and still had the noise. Took it to shop and found the teeth on pinning was broke. Sounded just like it was in the motor.

13. Member
    Blower belt? You running a super charger?

I want one.

15. Member
    Guy hasn't logged in since posting this topic and we don't have a clue what he has other than "2019 4-stroke" which covers a LOT of different engines.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Guy hasn't logged in since posting this topic and we don't have a clue what he has other than "2019 4-stroke" which covers a LOT of different engines.
    As of now- he hasn't logged in since he made Post #1 (probably never even read the replies, more than likely).