Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live scope image question

I posted this in the image interpretation section as well. I used my livescope for the first time today. No matter how I adjust settings or whatever direction I turn the transducer I have the circles "image" showing in the same spot. Any idea what it is or how to get rid of it?

Thanks
    Screenshot_20210116-195045_Gallery.jpg

2. Banned
    Odd, never seen that before.

Kidding, it’s whats known as the ghost tree. It will be out the same distance as the depth of water you are in. You can minimize it, but it won’t go away completely.

Noise rejection on medium? It should be unless you changed it. It's a hard bottom like back in the day when you got double or Triple bottoms on 2d, just read through it.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    It's called the ghost tree, search this forum and you will find lots of information about it.

5. Member

6. Member
    Is this really an installation problem?

7. Member
    Most likely not. Posted this link to give you ideas on settings and what this was you where looking at.
    Some have ruined their transducer cables by using zip ties that are pinched down to tight
    It will cause excessive interference and all kinds of strange artifacts. Dont ask me how I know.

8. Member
    Isn't it amazing how many new users are seeing this. It has now become " normal"!
    Just fishing through it or learn to live with it just doesn't work for me since I never, ever, never had this issue for over 15 months before the Perspective View software update. I won't say it wasn't there but I know for a fact when it was present it wasn't very noticeable like it is now. And I know for a fact fish, brush, your bait, you name it, just didn't disappear like it does now. Garmin keeps coming out with these phony "fixes" for this issue to just string us along until they release something new.
    Funny you can look back on this forum since Livescope was introduced. Ghost tree - dead zone was never a big issue until after the March 2020 release of the Perspective View free upgrade. Now everyone has install problems, bad voltage, zero degree mount, or just simply forgot how to aim their transducer. Guess 2020 was the year we just all became "woke" to this issue.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Isn't it amazing how many new users are seeing this. It has now become " normal"!
    Just fishing through it or learn to live with it just doesn't work for me since I never, ever, never had this issue for over 15 months before the Perspective View software update. I won't say it wasn't there but I know for a fact when it was present it wasn't very noticeable like it is now. And I know for a fact fish, brush, your bait, you name it, just didn't disappear like it does now. Garmin keeps coming out with these phony "fixes" for this issue to just string us along until they release something new.
    Funny you can look back on this forum since Livescope was introduced. Ghost tree - dead zone was never a big issue until after the March 2020 release of the Perspective View free upgrade. Now everyone has install problems, bad voltage, zero degree mount, or just simply forgot how to aim their transducer. Guess 2020 was the year we just all became "woke" to this issue.

Well, what are you going to do about it and what can we do about it? Exactly, nothing. Here’s my solution, fish past the GT or before it, complaining isn’t going to fix it. So yes, it is now normal, because we have no solution. It would be nice if Garmin had 2 different software versions to choose from, but they don’t and apparently won’t. For what it cost, I’ll make it work for me.

The Lowrance AT has the exact same thing, they just filtered it out more, same dead spots though.
    Last edited by grout-scout; 01-17-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Roy, milt unit has never been updated since purchase. What it came with in spring of 2019 is what it has. I have "ghost tree" and it has always been there depending on lake conditions. I do believe the issue is at first we all were so focused on the new technology and image we literally were blind to it and not noticing, till we had lots of experience and started noticing the subtle fails. Things that exaggerate the issue is manual ranges, in auto auto the computer is better at hiding these. Auto sensitivity does the same. I wish we could go back in time with what we know now but we can't.

something to assist my point is over in lowrance land I have seen their units freeze up for 2 seconds, the owner of the video did not notice because he is new. I point it out and no one agrees. I also see "interference almost regularly and it drives me insane, and a few others see it and complain but the masses do not have an issue with it "yet". We shall see

11. Member
    I cannot say what anyone else sees or don't see. I do know what I've seen. From the beginning, meaning during a year of beta testing, the ghost tree would be there, depending on geography and settings, using multiple units, boxes and transducers. My first use and first report to Garmin included this. Also I have not seen, in my use, with any version of the software with a truly dead area, meaning the target was there and could not be viewed. The way I verified this was to place the targets and check at various ranges and depths. The targets varied from 1/16 to 1/4 oz jigs to spark plugs. I have seen what I would call weak areas at various ranges, depending on depth. For example tracking a pod of 8 spotted bass, moving towards me, would go to 3 or 4 or 2 and then when closer show back up as 8. From this I concluded, subjectively, that the cone was weaker at some specific distances from the transducer. A weaker cone will be much narrower in how many dispersed targets it can pick up. To determine if the cone was "dead" at some ranges I would suspend a targets and approach them from different ranges. I could always find them but the amount of rotation allowed and still see them varied from easy to extremely delicate. In some cases, any movement of the transducer at all and the target could not be viewed. The largest weak area would be in the vicinity of where the ghost trees would be, but that is not the only place I saw this. Again it seems to depend on geography and depth. I have tried, unsuccessfully to measure the cone width at various ranges and settings. Some of these experiments seem to confirm my theory but do not prove it. There have just been too many variables at play. Wind, boat movement, target drift, consistent, precise angle of approach, size of targets and more have kept me from saying anything conclusively about the size of the reception as related to range. Large targets can be made to disappear completely with settings. I didn't document all the ways you can do that. What I was doing was adjusting the settings to acquire and display the targets. Generally the higher the noise rejection and TVG and the lower the gain, the fewer targets you will be able to see. I think most everbody already knows that.

Other people, in other situations, have claimed, documented and verified different experiences. I am not disputing that and don't want to play on words. If what I had seen had been the same as what Roy showed in one of his videos, I call it a dead area too, a big dead area. The new Lowrance product looks like it is going to be very similar to LiveScope. If the new product Hbird comes out with resolves this, Garmin has some real competition.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Roy, milt unit has never been updated since purchase. What it came with in spring of 2019 is what it has. I have "ghost tree" and it has always been there depending on lake conditions. I do believe the issue is at first we all were so focused on the new technology and image we literally were blind to it and not noticing, till we had lots of experience and started noticing the subtle fails. Things that exaggerate the issue is manual ranges, in auto auto the computer is better at hiding these. Auto sensitivity does the same. I wish we could go back in time with what we know now but we can't.

something to assist my point is over in lowrance land I have seen their units freeze up for 2 seconds, the owner of the video did not notice because he is new. I point it out and no one agrees. I also see "interference almost regularly and it drives me insane, and a few others see it and complain but the masses do not have an issue with it "yet". We shall see
    Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Nailed it.
    Milt is "my", my spell check as well as my eyes let me down.

14. Member
    I guess we all see different stuff base on various factors.
    I know what I see. I know what I see locally with at least 3 other people who have the exact same issue that I have. I've tried about everything and continue to do so. I bought a lvs12 transducer to try and fill in my dead area. Unfortunately the transducer I bought didn't work in forward view. I got my money back. I just purchased a PS22 transducer that I hope helps fill in my dead zone. If this doesn't help I guess I'll have to see what HB brings to the table

15. Member
    guys,i bought a new livescope in may,it work fair as i said much earlier,however now it is terrible,i have never use ties on cables for over 40 plus years and on livescope i have it on pole and cable goes through pole with a protected cover around cable,no dents or anything can be seen on ducer,my unit at 20 to 35 feet has now so many dead spots that you can not follow anything in that zone even in 40 fow ,i can go up to a anchor rope tied to a bouy and it will keep disappearing no matter how i turn ducer,even o to 20 feet it will keep disappearing,have tried 3 boxes from others and is better but still terrible,one was a new box that i have on now from a friend and still bad,roy has seen it and also said worst ever seen,all this i am saying come on humminbird give us something better

17. Member
    Gene's is way worse than mine and mine is bad. He is using if on a different lake than me but the problems he has are the same as me. Fishing anywhere in the 20 to 30 foot forward range is almost impossible. It didn't use to be this way.
    What's the reason? Is it the black box, the transducer, or the software or a combo of all of the above? I wish I knew.
    I would truly love for a Garmin Tech to go out with me and Gene for 15 minutes to see what we are experiencing. Or for that matter anyone who thinks their unit is working fine. 15 minutes and anyone could clearly see what our issues are.

I haven’t had too much to say about my LS but I have been with Roy & Gene. I have just gone back to SI/DI rather than being frustrated with LS. I have a total Networked Garmin package & would hate to take a beating on selling it but if Humminbird solves all the Garmin issues I will.

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

19. Member
    Don,
    Me too! That's why I hated learning the the Garmin warranty was only good for the original buyer. Can't blame anyone for being hesitant about dropping big money into a used system only a few months old but zero warranty.

20. Banned
    Roy and Gene, is your dead spot only in the ghost tree? I see Gene said his is sporadic 0-20’, but I’m more curious about the true dead spot.

Do you guys watch Basstards videos? Do you guys see anything wrong in his videos? Any chance it’s a setup issue on your boats? Whats the visibility on your lakes?
    Last edited by grout-scout; 01-19-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast