Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disappointment from Lowrance.

Hey. Having been a Lowrance user for many years, I love the screen picture and the intuitive operation of the chartplotter. Now I have Carbon and Live. I am from Russia, and the language on the devices is Russian. The latest update states: "In addition, the Russian language has been removed from the language unlock list. Russian is no longer able to be unlocked directly from the display." This is not the whole truth. Not only is it impossible to unlock the Russian language, there is no way to install the update at all on all chartplotters with the Russian language. When installing the update, I understand that I will lose the Russian language, but the update cannot be installed at all. The installer monitors the presence of the Russian language and blocks the installation. Limiting the possibility of renewal and discrimination based on language (nationality).Updating can only be done through a dealer, and there is only one dealer, and is a thousand kilometers away from me. I do not want to send my instruments to the dealer for updates every time, and I am ready to use the standard language pack, but the update cannot be installed. A request to lowrance.com tech support did not solve the problem.
    Of course, I'm not going to get rid of my Lowrance chartplotters right now, I will be using them. But my next new chartplotter is definitely not Lowrance.
    I'm sorry, but a bad attitude towards clients cannot bring profit to the company.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.2 KB, 103 views)

2. Member
    Ask Joe Biden for assistance.

3. Banned
    Sounds like it’s something the Russian govt is blocking, not sure it’s a Lowrance problem.

4. Banned
    Excellent English. I imagine you have considered this but my first attempt would be to go backwards and remove the language pack and then try the update from there. Perhaps someone here can supply you with an English 18.x version or something like that.

Very curious as well. Is there bass fishing in Russia? What types of fishing do you enjoy? What kind of boat to you use?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Sounds like it’s something the Russian govt is blocking, not sure it’s a Lowrance problem.
    No, this is not a Lowrance problem, this is a Russian angler's problem. In the USA, Live 7 has a price of $ 1149, a dealer in Russia sells for $ 2305, Live 12 in the USA costs $ 3099, in Russia the price is $ 4853.
    The local dealer's greed is exorbitant and has few sales. We do not want to count other people's money, we count our own money. Therefore, the vast majority of us buy chartplotters directly from the USA. We pay taxes to customs, remove the geofacing and language blocking code, and use it. It is legal. Anyone, even living in the United States, can use any language in the device.
    But the local dealer doesn't like it. The dealer has agreed with the manufacturer, and now, if the Russian / Ukrainian language pack is installed in the chartplotter, no new update can be installed. Only contacting the dealer can install the update, but we are not the dealer's customer, we are Lowrance customers.
    I am very sorry that Lowrance followed the lead of the local dealer. And now we, numerous owners of chartplotters, are deprived of the opportunity to use the new Active Target sensor.
    We are discussing this problem, and many have come to the conclusion that we will most likely switch to Garmin products. Garmin has no discrimination based on language and territory, there is a livescan, mega frequency, an excellent downscan, and a good sidescan.
    It's a shame that Lowrance didn't need us after years.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljanse View Post
    Excellent English. I imagine you have considered this but my first attempt would be to go backwards and remove the language pack and then try the update from there. Perhaps someone here can supply you with an English 18.x version or something like that.

Very curious as well. Is there bass fishing in Russia? What types of fishing do you enjoy? What kind of boat to you use?
    Yes, I can use a standard language pack chartplotter, and I can install earlier versions of the software. And most likely we will delete the Russian / Ukrainian language pack. But many cannot use English and it costs a lot of money to buy from a dealer.
    We have a different perch on the Volga River, not bigmouth, we catch it both in summer and winter. I usually catch pike perch (zander), pike, asp (sheresper).

ttt18 what Garmin are you interested and how much does it cost in Russia ?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boatinpete View Post
    ttt18 what Garmin are you interested and how much does it cost in Russia ?
    Now I am satisfied with my Carbon and Live, Garmin is considered in perspective as a replacement, the 8612 xsv models are interesting. But the purchase is profitable only in the USA, in Russia any chartplotter is expensive.
    When buying abroad, I spend 15% customs, it is profitable for me. The dealer usually adds 60-100%.
    We in Russia are very fond of fishing, it is a hobby, and recreation, and sports. And we also want to use modern fishfinding devices. But in the case of buying a top-end chartplotter, it often turns out that the device turns out to be more expensive than the boat itself, and we are outraged by the position of the local dealer.
    And therefore we want to buy in the USA, it is profitable for us, it is profitable for the manufacturer of chartplotters, if there are sales, there is profit. But I do not understand why the manufacturer strongly supports the dealer and leaves no choice. Wouldn't that be a "shot in the foot"?

9. Member
    I am also a longtime user of Lowrance, started with the Eagle many-many years ago.
    Agree with ttt18 that our local dealer is "slightly" overplaying. Absence of normal user manual in Russian, incorrect translation of some terms plus great overpricing. And discrimination in update software policy now...
    The only thing that keep me with Lowrance for now is the best opportunity to create your own maps among all manufacturers.
    From Russia too...

10. Member

11. Member
    are you sure its not Lowrance trying to force Russian anglers to use Russian dealers? I understand the prices are higher, but maybe Lowrance wants to maintain a dealer base in Russia.

12. Member
    The method is somewhat strange. Possibly Lowrance will retain the dealer network (consisting of one dealer), but the dealer
    will definitely lose clients.

13. Banned
    I posted the work around of using an earlier software version thinking just of your personal situation in which English would be useful. Sounds like you are doing an import resale business as well. I'll bet Lowrance would gladly sell you a pallet of LiveSight units. I have no idea how much adjustment there will be in an Active Target system but perhaps it will be simple enough that once setup to your preference it will not need much adjustment. Most menu items are one word items that could be translated on a little notecard or sticker on the unit. I'm not trying to take away from what a pain it would be and I can't imagine trying to use my setup in Russian...but I still think I would try ;)

I posted a pic of N. European freshwater fish and found this crazy image of a Pike that swallowed a full size Zander and choked on it. That's some aggressive fish! Imagine a swim bait that size.

14. Banned
    So are you guys from Russia saying that there is only 1 single dealer in the entire country of Russia?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljanse View Post
    I posted the work around of using an earlier software version thinking just of your personal situation in which English would be useful. Sounds like you are doing an import resale business as well. I'll bet Lowrance would gladly sell you a pallet of LiveSight units. I have no idea how much adjustment there will be in an Active Target system but perhaps it will be simple enough that once setup to your preference it will not need much adjustment. Most menu items are one word items that could be translated on a little notecard or sticker on the unit. I'm not trying to take away from what a pain it would be and I can't imagine trying to use my setup in Russian...but I still think I would try ;)

I posted a pic of N. European freshwater fish and found this crazy image of a Pike that swallowed a full size Zander and choked on it. That's some aggressive fish! Imagine a swim bait that size.
    I do not resell imported equipment. We are here in Russia discussing the current situation with the update, and therefore this is our common problem. And the problem is that Lowrance blocks all Russian-language chartplotters, you can't update it yourself. Updating is possible only through the dealer, for each update you need to contact the dealer. Why do I need such a manufacturer?
    Also, I am not a programmer, and I personally do not know how to return the standard language pack to the chartplotter. But I believe there will be a solution.

Yes, in Russia pike is considered a sports fish.)) The fish is kept alive and released.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    So are you guys from Russia saying that there is only 1 single dealer in the entire country of Russia?
    Yes, there is one dealer in Russia, in Moscow. And there are offices in two more cities. And now for each update, chartplotters must be sent to them from all over the country. Stupidity and business are not compatible.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ttt18 View Post
    Yes, there is one dealer in Russia, in Moscow. And there are offices in two more cities. And now for each update, chartplotters must be sent to them from all over the country. Stupidity and business are not compatible.

That is crazy!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    are you sure its not Lowrance trying to force Russian anglers to use Russian dealers? I understand the prices are higher, but maybe Lowrance wants to maintain a dealer base in Russia.
    Bingo!

19. Banned
    I apologize for misunderstanding your intention. I agree that the decision from Lowrance is terrible for Russian customers. This can't be good for sales by the dealer. It's unfortunate they do not try and make the install process easier by outsourcing with regional marine sales partners or even electronics repair shops.
    Thanks for the fish pics. Those are some monsters! Perhaps the Olympic Committee should consider freshwater fishing as a new international sport.

plotnyye linii (tight lines)

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttt18 View Post
    Hey. Having been a Lowrance user for many years, I love the screen picture and the intuitive operation of the chartplotter. Now I have Carbon and Live. I am from Russia, and the language on the devices is Russian. The latest update states: "In addition, the Russian language has been removed from the language unlock list. Russian is no longer able to be unlocked directly from the display." This is not the whole truth. Not only is it impossible to unlock the Russian language, there is no way to install the update at all on all chartplotters with the Russian language. When installing the update, I understand that I will lose the Russian language, but the update cannot be installed at all. The installer monitors the presence of the Russian language and blocks the installation. Limiting the possibility of renewal and discrimination based on language (nationality).Updating can only be done through a dealer, and there is only one dealer, and is a thousand kilometers away from me. I do not want to send my instruments to the dealer for updates every time, and I am ready to use the standard language pack, but the update cannot be installed. A request to lowrance.com tech support did not solve the problem.
    Of course, I'm not going to get rid of my Lowrance chartplotters right now, I will be using them. But my next new chartplotter is definitely not Lowrance.
    I'm sorry, but a bad attitude towards clients cannot bring profit to the company.
    “Monopoly” in action. Massive price hike and the ability to make demands on Lowrance regarding updates. The fact that there’s only one authorised dealer for all of Russia is strange. Maybe the dealer is the only one allowed to import products from Lowrance into Russia & if Lowrance didn’t use them they would have no access the the Russian market?
    Of course it’s way cheaper to do personal imports from the USA but that means no warranty. If something goes wrong, it’s scrap. When Lowrance launched Structure Scan I bought an HDS10 & LSS1 which cost almost double in the U.K. than I could have imported them for from the USA. Within a year both units developed faults & the U.K. dealer replaced them within a few days. It doesn’t make the paying inflated prices any easier, but it’s a consideration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast