Truck not recognizing trailer??

For some reason my F150 has stopped recognizing my trailer when it’s hooked up. The lights come on the trailer when I turn them on in the truck so I know they’re connected. For some reason the F150 has stopped recognizing that the trailer is connected. Only get “no active” trailer message. Any guesstimates on what’s causing that?

2. Member
    What type of controller do you have? built in or aftermarket?
    Do your brakes work?
    Was the trailer parked for long period of time?
    Did you connect it and try towing it a short distance to get any faulty ground connection worked in at the ball/tongue connection?

3. Member
    Built in/factory. Towed the boat this am to dealer for annual maintenance. Last couple of times out it would go back and forth btw recognizing trailer and then saying trailer disconnect. This am nothing....lights work, etc on trailer.

My first though when anything has intermittent on/off issues is a loose connection.. Not sure on Ford how it recognizes trailer-- Id check ground first. Good luck.

wonder is ford did a software update - my blind spot monitoring used to extend to the trailer when it was hooked up and no longer works

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger188VX View Post
    Built in/factory. Towed the boat this am to dealer for annual maintenance. Last couple of times out it would go back and forth btw recognizing trailer and then saying trailer disconnect. This am nothing....lights work, etc on trailer.
    Unless it is a software issue, I would start with silicone spraying your plugs and trailer tongue, and follow up with full ground check if lube don't help.
    I didn't order my 2012 GMC with the integrated controller in my towing package, since I prefer the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 trailer brake controller that I have not had any issues with in any that I have owned.

7. Member
    My 2015 f250 never gives me a trailer connected message when I’m Hooked up to my boat but if I hook to a trailer with electric brakes it will say trailer connected, gives me options to adjust the electric brake settings and automatically turns off my back up alarm I always thought it only recognized trailers with electric brakes but I really wish it would see my boat trailer and turn off the dang back up alarm
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5nRide View Post
    My 2015 f250 never gives me a trailer connected message when I’m Hooked up to my boat but if I hook to a trailer with electric brakes it will say trailer connected, gives me options to adjust the electric brake settings and automatically turns off my back up alarm I always thought it only recognized trailers with electric brakes but I really wish it would see my boat trailer and turn off the dang back up alarm
    My 13 f150 is the same way. And when I turn the backup alarm off it automatically turns back on if I shut the truck off and start it again
    Fish have fins, they swim